CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Noah Silverman

Profile:
I've come to realize that I have a problem with my right shoulder. Anytime that I do dips, it throbs in serious pain for the entire day. At some point, I'll have to have it looked at.

In the meantime, I refuse to quit my WOD. Can anyone reccomend a reasonable subsititue for dips that will still work the same muscle groups?

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Graham Tidey

Profile:
You could try dips on a bar in front of you with your fingertips touching. Imagine doing dips on your kitchen counter with your hands pointing inwards at roughly your belly button. I do these for "MU dips" as I'm trying to do MU's on a straight bar.

Alternativley you could try "yoga bridge pushups" which are pretty self evident, or maltese pushups where you put your hands by your waists, fingertips pointing at your feet.

Dips are really just triceps aren't they? Maybe shoulders and chest too? There's a zillion exercises that work those areas.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Have you tried lightening the load by doing the dips with your feet elevated? Keep adjusting the load until you can go through the range of motion without pain. Make the dips lighter by bending your knees toward you so that you can use your legs to help you a bit if you need it.

You can also lower the rings and do pushups with the rings to reduce the weight you have to push. Keep your shoulders in their sockets and practice griping the rings from the inside out and from the outside in. Get the DVD from Power Rings for more exercises.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
shoulder pain during dips has a lot to do with hand width. If your hands aren't right next to your body, you shoulders are working over time (especially when you go low for full range of motion).

I would work on 'scaled back' dips going full ROM. Rest your feet on a chair infront or behind (alternate). Make sure your hands are close to your body.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Are you doing them with rings?

I find that with rings my hands naturally seek a comfortable position right next to my body. The hands stay close to the body throughout the move. They're harder to do, but less stressful, oddly enough.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Tony Budding

Profile:
Shoulder pain is not uncommon in dips and pushups. I like Eugene's advice to lighten the load to where you can do full ROM without pain. Dip assist machines are also great for that (if you're at a gym).

Generally strengthening and improving flexibility in the shoulder is the real solution. PVC shoulder roll-throughs are great. OH squats with moderate weight, handstands and handstand walking (a phenomenal exercise in itself) all build shoulder strength and stability. Most of my shoulder pain has gone away since I started working these regularly.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:03 AM   #7
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
I have the same type of problem (tendinitus) on and off with my right shoulder, suffering from it now actaully. Generally i can do full dips, but if the dip bars are too wide i have problems.If my shoulder is feeling bad, but not enough to rest it, i will do my dips off a bench (sit on a bench holding the edge, lift you butt off over the side and dip). You can either have you feet on the ground (easier), or elevated on another bench (harder)

Old 07-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Rusty Shakleford

Profile:  
You're probally going to far down if your shoulder is bothering you.}
Old 07-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #9
Zach Nikka

Profile:

i know im gonna be castrated for saying this on crossfit....but i lift too so here it goes.....you could try decline bench press or decline dumbell presses....they work the lower part of the chest as well as dips do
Old 07-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
Pat Janes

Profile:

Noah, are you doing your dips on a set of rings? Or bar dips?

If not the rings, you should get yourself a pair. They offer a much more natural range of motion. No dipping bar is setup such that it allows every person to dip through a safe ROM.

With the rings, on all movements, including pullups and dips, the rings can and will rotate to the position in which you will be most comfortable.

Ring dips are also a lot more difficult due to the necessary stabilisation.