CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-13-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
My gym has those step aerobic things, but I doubt it will go up to 24". I may use it, anyway. However, does anyone have a substitute for box jumps?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Kris,
I use one of the benches in the free weight area at my gym, if that helps?

Best i can manage without stacking loads of those step thingy risers together into a precarious tower!

Old 07-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Brad Williams

Profile:

I will usually make a tower from step risers but I make it next to the wall. This seems to work ok for me as long as I make sure to land clean on top of the step and jump or step straight off. Use a little caution and it should be Ok.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I started doing the box jumps on two upside down milk crates stacked on top of each other, but I really don't recommend it.

Now, like Karl, I use my weight bench. I jump on it much more than I lay on it; "Lynne" only comes around so often.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Mike Yukish

Profile:
While not the same, when without box to keep me honest I'll jump over a stick suspended between chairs at 24". Stand sideways to stick, jump one leg over, then the other. Go back.

The other thing I've done at a gym is to mark something about 24" off the ground (size 12 shoe = two shoes stacked) then use mirror to keep my jump height honest.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
My brother-in-law is a carpenter and he built two sweet 20" wooden boxes (one for me and one for him). They are very sturdy. Prior, I would jump onto a bench if I was at a fitness center, or some old furniture in my basement. That lasted until I was busted by my wife. I have also used standing broad jumps or vertical jumps as a sub. There are more important pieces of fitness equipment, but I really love the box jumps.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Stairs are generally 7" each. When I first started I used to jump up and down two steps for 14" jumps. Never tried it with three, but it might be doable. Horizontal distance may make up slightly for lack of height - If you don't think so, just add reps to make up for the lost height. Also, make sure you have enough clearance with the cieling.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I usually stack my plates all the way up to the prescribed height. They offer plenty of room for a safe landing, as well as a hard surface (unlike benches).