CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-24-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Alright all,

I'm experimenting with stretching again as I've become really inflexible since I stopped martial arts. I'm doing all the usuals, particularily hamstrings and groins (in a G2G style, actually) but I want to increase my back flexibility too.

I already do stretches lying on the ground dropping the knees to either side with my back flat and lifting my foot as much behind my head as I can. The goal is to stand with my back to a wall, walk my hands down and end up in a Yoga bridge. This should then take me to a back walkover.

Anyone know what I should be doing? The tightness feels quite high up in my back when I try the move as is.

(I'm also trying it from a squatting position)

Gah.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:12 AM   #2
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Ignore me, I've found it.

Back bends with straight legs is the one for me.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:43 AM   #3
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Graham,

To do the back walkover, you will also need good shoulder flexibility. To work on this, push in the direction of the walkover while in the back bend and really extend the arms and shoulders. The keys to the walkover are to keep the arch in the back as the leg kicks over and to keep pushing the chest in the direction of the walkover. Lose the arch, down you go. Another thing to try that will ultimately make the walkover easier is standing and arching back until you touch the ground with your hands. Once you can do that, you can put some momentum into the walkover, which helps a lot.

Mike.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Tight hip flexors and chest can be a major impediment here. These problem areas can force the back to bear an undue amount of the rang of motion.

Use wall walks to ease into this and lots of counter stretches to releive the loading on the back.

You can use a wall to walk your feet up to assist in the kick over...make certain that yoour arms are solid! You will drive your head into the ground if you kick over strongly and your arms collapse.
Robb
Old 05-25-2005, 02:14 AM   #5
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Thanks Mike and Robb.

Am I just not as good at static holds as I remember?

I'm doing your basic kip-to-bridge yoga bridge stance, hands inverted next to head, feet flat, back arched. But I can't straighten and lock out my arms nor can I hold it for very long. I certainly can't keep this position and straighten out my legs.

I was always able to do the capoeira version of this, but that's very low and really just jumping as hard as you can over your head. You also don't start in a back bridge.

So am I weak or stupid? :crazy: