CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-04-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
Andrew Hutton

Profile:  
Can someone please tell me what the WOD is?? Is it a set of routines, or something you decide is good for the given day?? Any infotion on the WOD would be useful. I have no idea. Is the WOD what CrossFit is??
Old 12-04-2003, 02:09 PM   #2
Bob Long

Profile:
Go to crossfit's main page. You'll see a list of workouts in the middle of the page, one for each day. Those are the workouts of the day or WOD.

Do it. Rest. Repeat as necessary
Old 12-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #3
Andrew Hutton

Profile:  
Ahhh I see. Does it always change? I mean will next thursdays WOD be different from todays??

Do all the WODs follow the principles mentioned in the aricles "Foundations of CrossFit" and "What is Fitness"??
When you say repeat as necessary you mean that one can do a WOD a few times a day if he feels capable of doing so safely?? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be sure.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Andrew,

Welcome to CrossFit. Here are my answers to your questions. Hopefully others will chime in, too.

Does it always change? I mean will next thursdays WOD be different from todays??

I'd say there's about a 99% chance that next Thursday's WOD will be different than today's. We'll see some of the hallmark WODs (like Wednesday's "Chelsea" and Friday's "Elizabeth") repeated with some frequency, but it would be a rare event for the WODs to be exactly the same from week to week (then again, Coach may prove me wrong and change it up on us like that). The reasons are fairly involved, but let me point you to the 3 waves of adaptation that Coach discusses in the "What is Fitness?" CFJ article. If we were to repeat the same workouts every week, our bodies would quickly adapt to those exercises and our fitness level would become fairly narrow fairly quickly. CrossFitters are interested in, among other things, the broadest level of fitness possible. Thus, the variety of CrossFit's WODs. And thus, first- and second wave adaptations, saving third wave adaptations for one's specific sport, rather than the training for one's specific sport.

Do all the WODs follow the principles mentioned in the articles "Foundations of CrossFit" and "What is Fitness"??

Absolutely. And if you pay close attention to those 2 articles, you'll understand immediately why the WODs are highly unlikely to be repeated from week to week.

When you say repeat as necessary you mean that one can do a WOD a few times a day if he feels capable of doing so safely??

Boy, if you can repeat the WODs multiple times a day, you're a better man than I. If you're going all out on the WODs, you really shouldn't need to repeat the WOD. I'd suggest upping the weight or increasing your pace (of running, moving between rounds, etc.) if you're finding that you have plenty "left in the tank" after a WOD. Also, you have to give your body a break. If you're continually hammering away at it multiple times a day, your performance is likely to suffer over the long term.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Old 12-04-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
Andrew Hutton

Profile:  
Sure does, thanks guys.

So CrossFit is based almost entirely on the WOD than. Am I still overlooking something, or is it as simple as it seems?? A simple WOD a day is all it is than right??
Old 12-04-2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
It is simple...in principle. However, if the WOD is done properly, it will prove extremely taxing to even the fittest of individuals. Trust me.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
You see, the catch comes at "Scale load and intensity". EVERYONE, even the fittest man on earth, should have trouble on these.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #8
mark a. blakemore

Profile:

Was it Beethoven who said, "there is genius in simplicity?"