CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Sami Al Rais

Profile:
Paleo Diet or Paleo Diet for Athletes?

Hi all,

Was wondering which is the better book to get. The Paleo Diet or the one for Athletes. Both are by Cordain, I wasn't sure which one I needed. I CF about 4 times a week and play football (soccer) about twice a week. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet or Paleo Diet for Athletes?

get the paleo diet.

paleo diet for athletes is a misnomer. it ought to be called paleo diet for long distance/endurance athletes
Old 08-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

That sucks because I already ordered the athletes one. Are there major difference between the two books? Should I now order the paleo diet one as well?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Al Rais View Post
That sucks because I already ordered the athletes one. Are there major difference between the two books? Should I now order the paleo diet one as well?
1. Why did you post question if you already ordered.
2. If you would have used the Search function, you'd would have had your answer as this has come up before.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
John Harris

Profile:

I have both. It will still give you the basics of the diet with guidance on when to add extra high glycemic carbs to help your recovery. Since you are CrossFitting 4x per week, you can you can pretty much ignore the stages that recommend higher GI carbs.

The book is written for endurance athletes but I really like the extra information on exercise habits of hunter gatherers.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

The Paleo Diet is just a low carb weight loss program and The Paleo Diet For Athletes is a badly written mess so I wouldn't really recommend either of them. A far better investment would be Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond or if you can find a copy The Stone Age Health Program by S. Boyd Eaton as they're both far superior to anything Cordain's ever written plus a copy of The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean which explains everything you need to know about the science of sports nutrition.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Tom Reyes

Profile:

OK, I know this may be in poor taste, but am I the only one who sees the irony of a "paleo-type" diet book being authored by Anita Bean? Say it out loud...it's OK to chuckle now.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
OK, I know this may be in poor taste, but am I the only one who sees the irony of a "paleo-type" diet book being authored by Anita Bean? Say it out loud...it's OK to chuckle now.
Nice.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

I asked the question because I read in other places that the athlete version was better but wanted to double check. Good thing I did.

People are always saying use the search option. Well I did and didn't find what I was looking for. I'd rather you used your post to try and help me out rather than just nitpick at things like that.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
Sami Al Rais

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The Paleo Diet is just a low carb weight loss program and The Paleo Diet For Athletes is a badly written mess so I wouldn't really recommend either of them. A far better investment would be Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond or if you can find a copy The Stone Age Health Program by S. Boyd Eaton as they're both far superior to anything Cordain's ever written plus a copy of The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean which explains everything you need to know about the science of sports nutrition.
Thanks, I'll look into those books.

'Since you are CrossFitting 4x per week, you can you can pretty much ignore the stages that recommend higher GI carbs.'

Would I need to exercise more to include higher GI carbs in my diet?