CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Andrew Lallos

Profile:
Question Pins and Needles/Tingling when Stretching?

I've made it a point recently to work on my flexibility, specifically in my quads, and glutes and hamstrings. Pretty much my lower half of the body.

However, one thing I've noticed is that whenever I hold a good stretch glutes and hamstrings I begin to get a tingling/pin and needles in my feet. I also get this when I do foam roller work.

It doesn't hurt its just the sensation, and it does go away within seconds of me releasing the stretch.

As I said, it's a tingling sensation, almost like pins and needles but not numb.

Is this bad? Anyone have any thoughts on why or what this is? Am I just that tight in those areas?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pins and Needles/Tingling when Stretching?

Pressure/stretching on nerves will generally give you this impression. Kinda like if you hit your funny bone or sleep weird and get a numb arm.

If you're pretty inflexible your nerves may also be tight which will probably stretch them or muscles put a lot of pressure on them while stretching. Take it slow, but be consistent with your flexibility.