CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Ernie Santamaria

Profile:
Tips for a better "Push press"

i did yesterdays WOD..

but i have never done this move before so after my warm up i practiced the move with just the olympic bar.

right away i noticed that after i cleaned the bar to me chest/shoulders, it felt like it was resting on my clavicles and not on my shoulders, and if i forced it to my shoulders the bar would hit my throat. Since there was no weight it was not an issue to hold the bar, but as i added weight it prevented me from going to a heavier weight.

also, and i think this is more of an issue with my squat, but ive read that "soft knees" are important to absorb the weight cleaned to the shoulders and after lock out above the head... well every time i lifted the weight to my shoulders i felt like i was rocking forward, same thing when bringing the weight down from above my head.

so i did the WOD but only did it with 115lbs because any weight i did after that felt like i was going to injure myself.

did i do the right thing by not forcing the heavier weight w/ poor(er) technique and how can i improve this move?

ALL replies are welcome!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Roman Volf

Profile:
Re: Tips for a better "Push press"

I had the exact same problem, now my clavicle, especially the left side feels sore/bruised. I just couldn't get my shoulders forward/up enough to have the bar rest comfortably.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Ernie Santamaria

Profile:

have you done anything to improve that move? i feel like i had to sacrifice the amount of weight i pressed because of this...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Depending on your body structure, the bar resting on your collar bones and hands is completely normal. As far as the overhead unstable feeling, this will simply improve with more overhead practice. Try doing presses/push presses without your shoes on and you may feel more stable. Watch videos.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Wow. I must be really screwed up. I just did that wod and hit 206# and the bar never came in contact with my clavicles or shoulders at least not enough to mention. It's not supposed to be like a rack position for a clean or a front squat.....or someone please straighten me out.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Ernie Santamaria

Profile:

so when i watched the video for this on the main site... the guy talks about getting up to your shoulders and it resting there on your shoulders... and soft knees catching it on the way down...

he also talks about how forward the elbows are when the bar is at your shoulders and pushing ur head forward at the top of the press...

am i wrong in the way i did it..

also when you say you hit 206# what does that mean?? is that short for 206lbs?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Ernie Santamaria

Profile:

yup just watched the video again and he specifically says its in a rack position...

i guess its just the way im shaped?? i am tall and lanky so maybe thats why??
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Santamaria View Post
so when i watched the video for this on the main site... the guy talks about getting up to your shoulders and it resting there on your shoulders... and soft knees catching it on the way down...

he also talks about how forward the elbows are when the bar is at your shoulders and pushing ur head forward at the top of the press...

am i wrong in the way i did it..

also when you say you hit 206# what does that mean?? is that short for 206lbs?
I meant lbs. I'm gonna get some video of myself on a push press. I was really focused on my dip, moving my knees forward instead of leaning forward with the torso. I'm questioning what I did with my rack now, but I do know that my elbows were pointed basically down only slightly forward of the bar.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Carlos- It's essential to start the bar in a rack position for you to use all of your leg drive (which is more force than your arm drive). If the bar isn't racked, then your arms are dampening out force that can be used to drive the bar up. Any press- Shoulder press, push press, push jerk- should be started from a proper rack with elbows forward and raised.

That being said, if you got 206lb with poor form, then you have ALOT more potential.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
Ernie Santamaria

Profile:

jesse, i think maybe part of the problem i have is similar to Carlos... my rack position isnt great and it hurts my collar bone... i cant seem to move my elbows forward past a certain point

do you thing its a flexibility thing or just lack of experience with the movement? and any advice to help improve?