CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
"some" fruit - what do they mean?

Okay, we know the schpiel, "eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar"

I always thought that "some fruit" meant that only a small portion of your carbs should come from fruit. However, my buddy told me today that he get most of his carb blocks from fruits.

"Isn't that too much? Isn't it supposed to only be 'some' fruits?"

And his reply was that what they meant by 'some' was not the quantity but 'some' fruits as in certain fruits; as in apples, blueberries, oranges, but not bananas and mangoes.

Is this true? I hope so because if I could get even half of my carb blocks from the approved fruits, it would make this whole zone thing SO much more enjoyable.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: "some" fruit - what do they mean?

I take "some fruit" as having both meanings. Eat some choices of fruits--preferably low-GI and high vitamin/mineral/antioxidant ones like berries, peaches, oranges, etc. rather than bananas for instance--and eat them as some of your carb intake, but try to get most of your carbs from vegetables due to their lower sugar content.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I take "some fruit" as having both meanings. Eat some choices of fruits--preferably low-GI and high vitamin/mineral/antioxidant ones like berries, peaches, oranges, etc. rather than bananas for instance--and eat them as some of your carb intake, but try to get most of your carbs from vegetables due to their lower sugar content.
so would 8 of 16 blocks be too much?

If not, what's the highest ratio I can get away with?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Omar Omar

Profile:

My CrossFit friend at a globo gym says some fruit meant that you should balance fruits and veggies. According to him, Some people start eating fruit too much and miss out on the benifits of veggies because people usually like fruits better.So it was made like that just so you wont start eating apples and oranges all day with out ever taking in any brocc, carrots, so on...

According to him. Can we get some nutrtion cert'ss to help us out here
Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:

Interesting...I never thought of it; I just assumed that it meant "fewer" portions of fruit per day when compared to veggies. I've been operating under the assumption that veggies trump fruit. Don't you think if it was the other way around a less ambiguous phrase like "certain" fruits would have worked better in the statement?

Patrick
Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
Interesting...I never thought of it; I just assumed that it meant "fewer" portions of fruit per day when compared to veggies. I've been operating under the assumption that veggies trump fruit. Don't you think if it was the other way around a less ambiguous phrase like "certain" fruits would have worked better in the statement?

Patrick
yeah, that's what I was thinking.. so out of 16 blocks, would 6 from fruit be OK?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

People, there is no absolute answer here. See what works for YOU.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Omar Omar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
People, there is no absolute answer here. See what works for YOU.
What works for us as in how/what. I mean. Im roughly taking as much fruits as vegtables. I wouldnt mind going to a 70%fruite to 30%vegtables. Im basically forcing my self to swallow every bite

How do we know what works for us. Mesuring work capacity, strentgh, or anything else in my case is propably useless since I started crossfit this year and set a PR on like 90 percent of all WODS.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

See what works for you. That's the best nutritional advise anyone can give in my opinion.

right now I'm on a roughly 16p9c37 (About 2 blocks of carbs per meal) diet and I generally have an apple with breakfast and blue/raspberries and a green veggie for lunch. Then dinner is almost always exclusively green veggies. So far this seems to work for me and my energy levels have been good. So long as I get enough fat I'm ok meal to meal.

My fat loss has slowed down but I attribute that to the down turn in training for the last week and a half. I'm ramping up again so hopefully I'll hit my goal of 197 which is 30lbs off of my weight on jun 1.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Travis Earp

Profile:

How to see what works for you:

Step 1) Turn off the internet
Step 2) Try stuff
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Profit

Seriously, though. Figure out what works for you. See if you can get away with eating half of your blocks from fruit. If it works for you, awesome. If it doesn't, try something else.