CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Ben Gallardy

Profile:
Post Workout Blood Pressure and Pulse

POST WORKOUT....and not sure what to make of it. I was on the last round finishing up my workout when a lady walked into the gym and started setting up a blood pressure monitor for a health fair program. She got set up just as I was done with the last set of sit ups and I immediately asked her if I could be the first victim, seeing that no one was there yet. I did this purely out of curiosity. The machine ran the test twice, a minute apart, and averaged the results. My average blood pressure was 146/64 and average pulse was 127. I have nothing to base this off of since I only have ever done this test while at a resting heart rate. My normal results are around 110/70, resting pulse around 55. Do these numbers seem pretty normal post workout? I think the BP is a little high myself. (BTW, the lady taking my blood pressure had no clue. She just 'runs the machine' LOL!!!)

Other notes - Ate breakfast around 0800, but worked out semi fasted around 12. Normally work out fasted around 0530. Had work until 2400 last night and only slept about 6 hours, less than my usual 7ish. Had a small cup of coffee around 0900 which I normally do not drink. Not sure if any of this matters, but it is what it is. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Post Workout Blood Pressure and Pulse

Pulse only 127? You recover pretty fast!

I've never taken a post-workout BP, but my immediate post-workout pulse is often 160 or above. (Caught using a heart monitor. It drops so fast that other methods don't catch the true number.)

So no, I wouldn't be particularly concerned.

Katherine
Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Joseph Abraham

Profile:

Your blood pressure after strenous activity is going to be high especially lifting weights. But you need to take blood pressure over many days to be able to see if you have a concern.

Go get a physical from a doctor.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Ben Gallardy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Pulse only 127? You recover pretty fast!

I've never taken a post-workout BP, but my immediate post-workout pulse is often 160 or above. (Caught using a heart monitor. It drops so fast that other methods don't catch the true number.)

So no, I wouldn't be particularly concerned.

Katherine
Thanks Katherine, I am not particularly concerned either. I just thought it was an interesting stimuli to throw out there and see if it meant anything to people smarter than I am, lol. Not like you get the chance to get your BP post workout very often. As far as the Pulse, my immediate post workout pulse has been 180+ many times on a heart rate monitor before. The actual test started (best guess) a minute and a half after I had been sitting in a chair. Then it ran a complete BP test, cycled for 1 minute, then ran another BP test. (3-4 minutes total) It took the average of the 2 tests. So that 127 pulse was not immediately after workout. (although secretly I wish it was!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Abraham View Post
Your blood pressure after strenous activity is going to be high especially lifting weights. But you need to take blood pressure over many days to be able to see if you have a concern.

Go get a physical from a doctor.
Just got one....Dr. told me I was a picture of health! I wish I could take the post workout BP a couple more times and see what that means. The lady at the health fair said it is a 6 month program so I will try to catch her in there again so I can compare numbers.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
John Harris

Profile:

Some days if I really work out hard, I know my pulse will be high for the rest of the day. I usually take that as a sign that either I've overdone it or I need to train intensity more.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Adrenaline (released when exercising) causes your HR to increase and constricts blood vessels, which increases BP.

In case you were wondering.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Ben Gallardy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Adrenaline (released when exercising) causes your HR to increase and constricts blood vessels, which increases BP.

In case you were wondering.

That explains it perfectly (dumbed down enough for me to understand LOL). Thanks Nick!