CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Mark Harris.
Member Mark Harris. is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saint Louis  MO
Posts: 27
Crossfit Cost Question

I'd like some advice about my starting my Crossfit journey. The gym here has 3 price plans $150 for a 10 class card, $250 for 20 and $450 for 3 months unlimited. I took the Elements class which was 6 sessions for $90. I like how Crossfit really pushes me to the edge. I like being worked hard and getting my monies worth. I plan on continuing in Crossfit to lose weight and help my running. I also want to get my Crossfit Certification along with Crossfit Kids. I'm a little strapped for cash right now as school hasnt started yet and my extra money comes from coaching after school. Should I just wait till I can afford the unlimited classes or go ahead and get what I can afford right now ($150)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
Member Lawrence "Bo" Boland III is offline
 
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fairfax  VA
Posts: 1,645
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

Well, if you're really looking for the coach interaction (to help your running as you said, and your lifting form), then go with what you can afford.

The other option is to join a cheaper nearby gym that might have what you need to do most CF workouts, and costs a lot less. You could also try and use the money you have to buy a bar and cheap iron online to have a start of a gym at home.

It all depends on what you're looking for.
__________________
30/m/5'9"/175-ish lbs Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Mark Harris.
Member Mark Harris. is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saint Louis  MO
Posts: 27
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

Yeah. Those are options. I just like being in the environment where everybody is busting their butts and everything needed is right there. Not to mention the schedule fits my workload. I'd planned on Crossfitting at 6am, go teach PE from 7:30-3pm, football practice 3-5:30. I'd get my workout in and not have to worry about it. I also do BJJ 6;15-8pm 3 days per week.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Dennis Taruc
Member Dennis Taruc is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Surrey  BC
Posts: 17
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

yah i train bjj too.. and doing crossfit at the same time can be pretty pricey

first of all i already pay $120/month for my bjj/mma training, this includes a membership to the globo gym. I can do my best to do WODs at the globo........ but getting access to the squat rack when people doing bicep curls is not easy most days....

... been looking at joining an affiliate... the closest one is $120 a month (for unlimited)... so basically thats gonna be about $240 a month (including my bjj/mma/globo memebership)... which no matter how you look at it is pretty steep on a month to month basis. Even before i can do group classes i would also have to pay for a mandatory 10 class personal training to get my skills up before doing the groups... thats another $600 upfront. It's quite a bit of money. I know for what i get... its probably worth the money .... thats the price of being fit i guess.

It's a lot of money... and i don't mind paying and biting the bullet...really the issue is... my wife, she just doesn't understand why i want to work out at an affiliate and pay for another membership.

only real way for me to 'save' on the cost is pay $1500 upfront for a year's membership.. this includes the 10 class private training ... so i would save about $500 off of the month-to-month package. Decisions.... decisions....

Last edited by Dennis Taruc : 08-09-2009 at 12:03 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
Jay Cohen
Member Jay Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sharpsville  PA
Posts: 3,388
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

Prioritize.

Since funds are limited, what's the most important thing/goal/objective to you right now or near future. Pick ONE, then what's going to give you the biggest bang for your buck. If it's BJJ, I'd consider spending my money on one on one's, workshops, what ever and get really, really good at BJJ. If it's CF, then same scenario, get my drift?

CF can be a Sport in itself as is football. BJJ, running, kayaking, climbing, what ever you want to be good at or what every your PRIMARY sport is.

Agree with OP's, do with what you can afford. Even if you had the cash, would you have the time/engery to really mazimize an unlimited membership??

Just my 2 cents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
Mark Harris.
Member Mark Harris. is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saint Louis  MO
Posts: 27
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

As far as priorities go well I'm not in it for a short term gain. Money won't rain from the heavens anytime soon in this economy :-). My health and fitness is very important to me as I've gotten older(35) and the ex-college football player strength I had has left me. Not to mention my doctor just put me on a water pill for high bloodpresure (I'm sure it's stress related to coaching). So really what I was asking I suppose was when's a good time to start. Should I buy a class punch pass for now then get more as the extra money season gets underway? Or just wait until extra money rolls in. Which btw is September for us football coaches. I just hate having an affliate 2 miles away and not taking advantage. I travel 45mins for my BJJ. That's because he's a 4 stripe blackbelt under Rickson.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Dennis Taruc
Member Dennis Taruc is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Surrey  BC
Posts: 17
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Prioritize.

Since funds are limited, what's the most important thing/goal/objective to you right now or near future. Pick ONE, then what's going to give you the biggest bang for your buck. If it's BJJ, I'd consider spending my money on one on one's, workshops, what ever and get really, really good at BJJ. If it's CF, then same scenario, get my drift?

CF can be a Sport in itself as is football. BJJ, running, kayaking, climbing, what ever you want to be good at or what every your PRIMARY sport is.

Agree with OP's, do with what you can afford. Even if you had the cash, would you have the time/engery to really mazimize an unlimited membership??

Just my 2 cents.
that is true... time is probably the biggest cost compared to the actual physical money part .... i'm married with zero kids... work full time managing a busy pharmacy and i still can't find enough time to train..... how do those parents out there do it?

going back to the OP's question, probably a 10 class card would be a good start.... it would be a shame to pay for unlimited then you end up only going twice a week or something..... since you took foundations already you should be able to (just guessing) do the workouts on your own at a rec centre or somewhere cheaper. I read alot of people here do affiliate part time and self training part time..... which is the route i'm considering since the affiliate schedules don't work with my personal/work schedule

so i vote go with what you can afford now.... the sooner you start, the less procrastination, also when you have to start coaching you'll probably get busy with that.... next thing you know it's next summer and you still haven't started....
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Mark Harris.
Member Mark Harris. is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saint Louis  MO
Posts: 27
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Taruc View Post
that is true... time is probably the biggest cost compared to the actual physical money part .... i'm married with zero kids... work full time managing a busy pharmacy and i still can't find enough time to train..... how do those parents out there do it?

going back to the OP's question, probably a 10 class card would be a good start.... it would be a shame to pay for unlimited then you end up only going twice a week or something..... since you took foundations already you should be able to (just guessing) do the workouts on your own at a rec centre or somewhere cheaper. I read alot of people here do affiliate part time and self training part time..... which is the route i'm considering since the affiliate schedules don't work with my personal/work schedule

so i vote go with what you can afford now.... the sooner you start, the less procrastination, also when you have to start coaching you'll probably get busy with that.... next thing you know it's next summer and you still haven't started....
I really don't TIME will be a major factor for me. Zero wife, zero kids. I mostly begin my days at 6am anyway. The affiliate here has a 6am class 5 days per week. Its convenient for me to get my workout in and head to school by 7:30 for first bell.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,375
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

If $150 is all you can afford right now, go with that til more money comes in...though keep in mind that the $150 is only getting you 10 workouts ($15 per) while the $450 for three months unlimited could get you 60ish workouts (about $7 per). Big difference in value there...do you have a kidney you could spare?

If you go with the $150 option, I would recommend hitting the affiliate 2-3 times per week. That way the card will last you about a month. Then do a WOD on your own 2-3 days per week, something that doesn't require much gear...Cindy, Nicole, Annie, Angie, etc. Or, since you mentioned wanting to improve your running, do a CFE WOD or just go out and run 4x400s or 3x800s or something like that.
__________________
Training Log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Crossfit Cost Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If $150 is all you can afford right now, go with that til more money comes in...though keep in mind that the $150 is only getting you 10 workouts ($15 per) while the $450 for three months unlimited could get you 60ish workouts (about $7 per). Big difference in value there...do you have a kidney you could spare?

If you go with the $150 option, I would recommend hitting the affiliate 2-3 times per week. That way the card will last you about a month. Then do a WOD on your own 2-3 days per week, something that doesn't require much gear...Cindy, Nicole, Annie, Angie, etc. Or, since you mentioned wanting to improve your running, do a CFE WOD or just go out and run 4x400s or 3x800s or something like that.
What Eric said. I would probably sell a kidney if it came to it. I paid for the 3X per week membership in June and July, but then I bought 5 sessions of personal coaching as well. Getting there more times per week was key for me. I switched to the unlimited membership for August, which is still a better value, even if I only get there 4X a week (my goal being 5X). I also bought another 5 sessions of personal coaching because my clean and my snatch have seen drastic improvements through that (and that's what I find the most fun). I'm also going to do some POSE work during personal coaching because I am still S-L-O-W.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start up cost Marie Bellifemine Running a CrossFit Facility 2 07-11-2009 04:59 AM
How much does that baby cost? Bart Hodlik Stuff and Nonsense 29 11-20-2008 08:59 PM
Cost of CrossFit? Tim Miceli Starting 11 01-12-2008 02:26 PM
Cost of equipment Kenneth Rhodes Equipment 2 09-17-2003 01:15 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.