CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Kevin Cale

Profile:
static stretching before lifting

I know its advised against static stretching before heavy lifting.
Some exceptions are a static hip flexor stretch and stretching pecs, lats and shoulder dislocated before low-bar squats.
I was just watching Joe DeFrancos upper body warmup which includes 2 foam roller exercises , 3 static stretches including pecs and lats and shoulder dislocates- is this right , stretching pecs and lats before possibly benching?
I know Joe knows his stuff.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: static stretching before lifting

I can't understand what you're asking
Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
John Praeuner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
I can't understand what you're asking
He wants to know if stretching pecs and lats prior to benching is ok.

I don't have the answer, just helping to clarify
Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

There is nothing "bad" about stretching beforehand, you just won't bench as much as otherwise possible. You can always just warm up the movement, ie. 45lbx5x2sets, 95x5, etc.. and then do your work sets. Stretching can be done afterwards, no need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

the when and why of static stretching wfs
http://eshlow.blogspot.com/2009/05/w...tretching.html

Basically, don't do it unless you're extremely tight such that your lack of mobility would throw off your technique. The only notable exception is hip flexors. Pecs and lats do not have this distinction; if they are too tight (aka caveman posture) you should static stretch them after your workouts and other times throughout the day not before your benching.

Dislocates aren't really a static stretch either...

Stick with dynamics before your benching.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:

I'm not so sure about the traditional wisdom of NO static stretching before workouts. I do agree that longer bouts of it are not desirable, but shorter bouts could be an exception that would still allow you to briefly lenghten a muscle or go through complete ROM. Steve's blog brings up the point of the SSC. Louie Simmons writes about research he's done and his experience at Westside which leads him to believe that the SSC can last up to 8 seconds in elite athletes. If that's true a brief static stretch might actually increase power. Anecdotal evidence from 20 years of my own training leads me to believe that short (5 second) static stretches are fine. I got away from them for a while and I felt a lot worse and seemed more prone to slight strains. Plus my lifts didn't go up. They might even have dropped a little (I didn't track them that well.)

Here's another way to look at it: Mike Boyle (whose insights fall anywhere between completely boorish and really profound) has a good take on the possible drop in performance versus possible drop in injury rates. He talks about an NBA client with a 30 inch vertical. His point is that is that if stretching before the game costs his athlete 10% of his power (3" of his vertical) but keeps him healthy enough to play all the time, he's come out way ahead. Now, that wouldn't necessarily be true for athletes that peak for a single event (track, weightlifting, powerlifting, etc.) but it's certainly true for the average CrossFitter.

Last edited by John Seiler : 08-04-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
Here's another way to look at it: Mike Boyle (whose insights fall anywhere between completely boorish and really profound) has a good take on the possible drop in performance versus possible drop in injury rates. He talks about an NBA client with a 30 inch vertical. His point is that is that if stretching before the game costs his athlete 10% of his power (3" of his vertical) but keeps him healthy enough to play all the time, he's come out way ahead. Now, that wouldn't necessarily be true for athletes that peak for a single event (track, weightlifting, powerlifting, etc.) but it's certainly true for the average CrossFitter.
That may be good reasoning if someone could demonstrate that static stretching before a game actually prevented injuries. I haven't seen any studies that suggest it does.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
That may be good reasoning if someone could demonstrate that static stretching before a game actually prevented injuries. I haven't seen any studies that suggest it does.
Just out of curiousity, have you seen all research? Hey, maybe you have. More power to you.

And to be fair, I don't recall if Boyle was referring to pre-game stretching or post-game stretching. What I'm getting at is a mindset. People love to quote the study that showed 5-10% losses in power output. It's true that power loss is never desirable. However, power isn't the Holy Grail. An athlete has to be healthy enough to use the power they have. Let's make sure we're not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited by John Seiler : 08-04-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Rich Sarcomo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Exactly. What's important for injury prevention is proper warmup. However, warmup is not synonymous with stretching, quite the contrary.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
Just out of curiousity, have you seen all research? Hey, maybe you have. More power to you.

And to be fair, I don't recall if Boyle was referring to pre-game stretching or post-game stretching. What I'm getting at is a mindset. People love to quote the study that showed 5-10% losses in power output. It's true that power loss is never desirable. However, power isn't the Holy Grail. An athlete has to be healthy enough to use the power they have. Let's make sure we're not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
No I haven't seen all reseach, but I've seen several studies which came to the conclusion that stretching makes no noticeable difference in injury rates.