CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Christopher Delgado

Profile:
Chris's - Crossfit in the Desert Log

Hi all,

I'm an Navy officer currently serving in Iraq. When I first got into theater I was doing Starting Strength religiously but was getting burnt out on the routine in spite of making steady gains. I had been interested in Crossfit for a while and put a messsage on here to find some Crossfitters. Mike Snyder, a regular at CF Oldtown in Alexandria and a Level 1 cert, replied while I was in the States on R&R. I just got back about a week and a half ago and just started working out with the CF Slayer guys. So here are the first two workouts that Ive done.

29 Aug

3 rds for time of 15 x Push Press (bar only), 20 x Bodyweight squats, and 25 X situps

I got 10:58 on that if I remember correctly.

31 Aug

"Kelly" scaled down as follows: 3 x rounds for time of 400m run, 20 x box jumps and 20 x thrusters with medicine ball.

14:41 and almost earned a visit from Pukie. Mike did a good job of scaling that for me (and one other CF noob). The first 2 rounds werent too bad but the last one was very rough. Others in the group did a full Kelly which I found really motivating. We have a good group here. Check out our home(s) on the web. The facebook page has the most current pictures and news, Im not sure how long the ning site is going to last.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Christopher Delgado

Profile:
Re: Chris's - Crossfit in the Desert Log

Ok so the months in the previous post were wrong, shouldve been July.

1 Aug

Well we had an optional rest day because Mike had prior work commitments for the night session but I opted to work. I dont know if it was a named WoD or a "Mike Snyder Special" but here it is.

Partner Wod

For time:
10 x tire flip out and back
200 x abmat situp
100 x kettlebell swing (overhead)
200 x bodyweight squat
100 x pushup
10 x tire flip out and back

(Optional 100 x abmat situps for time after the above is complete)

I emailed Mike beforehand and he told me if no one else showed to do half reps. Well I was the only one and so I did half the reps listed above. I was pretty blasted and so I wussed out on the optional bit.

Time: 10:30

Mike and his partner did it in 19:31 during the morning session. All in all, pretty pleased considering it was my third CF workout ever.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

2 Aug

30:20 - 30 seconds on , 20 seconds off maximum effort for 8 rounds on either the treadmill (set at 12% grade) or the C2. I elected to do the C2 to get a little extra upper body work. I felt like I hadn't dialed up the resistance enough so I went for 2 extra rounds.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

3 Aug

Two Minute Defense - Kettlebell Style

For time (10 rounds):

1 x Power Clean
3 x Hang Squat Clean
2 x Push Press
Switch arms and repeat with other arm
200m Sprint

We did it in teams of two, and there were four of us, plus our fearless leader Mike. We only had two teams, so we set up it as officers vs. enlisted, which incidentally ended up being male vs female as well, so 2 female soldiers against 1 Army officer and 1 Navy Officer (me). You alternate with your partner (they do all the above once, then you switch).

Time: 17:41

We won by two seconds. Awesome effort from the ladies. I used the 35# KB and my partner used the 50#. Really enjoyed this one.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

4 Aug

Rest Day

5 Aug

Strength/skill work:

Ring dips. 5x3 First time I tried these. The first set was a miserable fail. 2nd set I did 2. 3rd I did 3 fairly comfortably so I decided to add some weight on set 4 and got out 1 and a half. So on set 5 I did 3 more unweighted. This was a lot of fun. Once I got the hang of locking my arms to my sides and keeping everything compact. 6'2" guys definitely are not made to be on rings. But I did enjoy it.

Then to finish up we were given the choice of: 150 abmat situps, 150 KB swings, or 150 bullwhips (75 each arm). I went with the KB swings (35#). Somewhat of an easier day but I probably needed to back off a little bit.

Also, we added a new guy to the group. He is a civilian contractor and is a Level 1 cert from CF Tulsa. Good news for our hard working trainer to have some backup.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

6 Aug

Modified Fran:

15-12-9

Kettlebell thrusters (35# for me)
Band assisted pull-ups (red band)

Unfortunately pullups are my nemesis. Never have been good at them. Before we started I worked on the kip form. On the third round, at number 6, I kipped myself right off the bar (which by the way wasn't a stationary bar, its hanging from straps). I landed on my feet on a slight incline. Unfortunately its so dusty in Iraq I lost my feet and fell backwards into an air conditioning unit. It knocked the wind out of me. Anyhow I finally got my breath back and knocked out the last 3. Not sure what the time ended up being but I think it was around 11 or 12 minutes with the 2 and half or so minute delay while I caught my breath.

Anyhow I think we are going to work some negatives and jumping pull-ups to get me stronger at pull-ups.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Billy Wiland

Profile:

Outstanding push last-night, Slim!
For tonight ~ in light of your back-blast with pull-ups yesterday ~ something like Tabata squats... after a traditional CF warm-up ;-)
Old 08-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #8
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

7 Aug

Not tabata squats, as Billy suggested above, but instead:

Death by 7s w/partner

7xDB Push Press (35#)
7xBox Jumps
7xJumping Pullups

Switch with partner, 7 rounds for time

My partner and I: 13:27 (if I remember correctly)
Other team: 12:45 (or so, I dont remember exactly, but I know they beat us)
Billy and Mike (our two level 1 certs): 7:14!

I was a little worried about the thrusters and jumping pullups because my back was still sore from where I whacked it the night before (see my previous post) but suprisingly those were fine. The painful part was the box jumps because of the impact. I soldiered through it though. I did try one round on a higher box jump (big tire on a pallet, yay improvisation) but even though it felt better when I landed on the tire, jumping down from higher sort of offset that. So I went back to the lower box jump which allowed me to jump a little more carefully and then step down rather than jump down. It definitely slowed us down but I was just happy to finish it off. For all 3 of you who actually read this log, Im going to try and post some pictures.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

8 Aug

Rest day

9 Aug

Rest day

Yup two rest days in a row. 9 Aug was planned, 10 Aug was because of some seriously painful DOMS. It hurt to straighten my arms yesterday so I decided resting would be in my best interest. Plus I figured it would be good for the spot on my back that I dinged falling off the pullup bar.

10 Aug

Our group didnt get together tonight because our lead trainer had work commitments. So our other Level I cert, Billy, and myself got together. We modified today's mainpage WoD and did 4x400 sprints. It took about 10 meters to realize my back might be more messed up than I thought. The impact was killing and I couldnt take really deep breaths because of the pain. Going to give it a day or two longer and then I probably will go see the doc.

After we 4 of those we headed over to the gym so Billy could critique my squats and deadlifts. I did squats first and found that I was getting stuck just above parallel . Finaly we tried widening my stance a bit since I have pretty long legs and that worked like a charm. Checked deadlifts and they were pretty good to go.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

12 Aug

Grudging rest day. Back is still bothering me where I hit it and so Im going to see the doc in the am and see what they have to say. Anyhow, here is a link to some photos from the Death by 7s WoD we did. Enjoy.

Death by 7s