CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Brad Davis

Profile:
Flu-like illness + extreme DOMS

I have a weird one to report. Seems weird to me anyway. I've had a minor flu-like illness lately--started Sunday night and as of this morning, I feel 80-90% energy-wise anyway. I had a fever of about 100.8-101 and felt pretty drained of energy. Otherwise, not too bad--no sinus issues and just a little nausea here and there. I took the max dose of advil and that helped a lot. I was able to function around the house, but was miserable enough that I didn't do anything else.

Some necessary background. I have been recovering from a bilateral hernia repair with mesh (about 5 weeks ago), so have not been working out hard. Been doing barbell exercises with 60-80 lb so far and doing no metcon. I've also been doing golfer's elbow rehab which includes massage, stretching, eccentric exercises using grippers, and extender rubber bands. Last barbell workout was Sunday and last gripper/extender workout was last Thursday.

Here's the weird part. I have something that feels like DOMS except at least twice as bad as I've ever felt before. My calves are extremely sore, presumably just from walking around. Biceps are extremely sore, presumably from picking up our toddlers. My shoulders and triceps are very sore from dips on Sunday. Forearms and hands are HORRIBLY sore, to the point that it's miserable just typing this. I can barely button my pants or carry around a 4-5 lb book.

Anybody have some idea what's up with this? Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Flu-like illness + extreme DOMS

It's common for illnesses to make you sore especially the viruses/bacteria are invading your cells. Your immune system can generally detect when cells are infected so what they do is basically pop the cells, and initiate an immune response to the area. The combination of lysing the intracellular contents + inflammation is what generally makes you sore when you workout (microtears in muscle release muscle contents + inflammation reaction to promote healing).

Try to rest as much as possible, hydrate, eat well, etc.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Sounds to me like you've got the flu. Muscle pain is one of the things that differentiates actual influenza from the many flu-like illnesses out there. Rest, hydrate, see a doctor if necessary.

Katherine
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Brad Davis

Profile:

Thanks Steven and Katherine.

I have a follow-up, along the lines of Steven's reasoning. Why is it that the soreness is limited to my hands, forearms, biceps, right delt, right triceps, and calves? Your explanation would seem to suggest a systemic response.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Shrug. Like you said.. you're using them or have used them so your body's a bit more vulnerable to damage
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:

Thanks again. Really hoping this improves quickly. I can't write at all. Having a really hard time typing also.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
Thanks again. Really hoping this improves quickly. I can't write at all. Having a really hard time typing also.
Eat, hydrate and go to sleep