CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:
Calories burned during a WOD

I log all of my calories in and out and am having trouble figuring how many calories im burning from these WODs since they are so random. Can anybody help?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Calories burned during a WOD

There's no real accurate way to come up with a number, and calories are not really important anyways. Calorie trackers on treadmills and other machines just give you a rough guess. A two hour slow jog might burn more calories than a 15 minute WOD, but an intense WOD will boost metabolism for a longer period, increase production of testosterone and HGH, and lead to all sorts of other benefits on the CNS and neuroendocrine side of things. Shoot for improving performance and eat good food in appropriate quantities, and your weight and bodyfat will adapt in whatever direction you want, whether it's gaining or losing weight.

Sorry for not answering your question, but I think this is pretty much the advice you'll get from anyone on this board.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Omar Omar

Profile:

No one will help you with that.

You burn calories during the WOD. Then for up to 6 hours or longer your gonna be burning. And when your bodyparts recover while you sleep you will be burning. So no one can tell you how much you burn.

What IS proven is the fact that if you use the zone diet you can control your bodyfat and wieght by adding more fats or reducing them. You should calculate how much you throw in yourself (food and drinks) rather than how much you workout.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Not as many as you're thinking.

The key to intense workouts is hormonal control modulating body composition. Not calories burned for losing fat or anything like that.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:

I am not trying to loose weight im trying to gain it. I want to eat enough so that I put on muscle but not so much that after my body has built the muscle it has left overs that will be stored as fat. In order to determine how much extra to eat I wanted to figure out the calories i am burning in my WODs. Counting calories works for me and for many many others you guys shouldn't come on so strong. I guess I will have to play with the numbers and observe the results since it seems like a specific number will be hard to come buy.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THe body is an adaptive system meaning calories burned, muscle built, metabolism, etc are based on many factors including what and how much you eat. If you figure out that you burned 2874 calories so you will eat 3374 (500 more than you burn), your body will adjust it's metabolism to account for the greater amount of calories. ALso, the amount of calories you burn during training pales in comparison to the amount of calories you body burn after the traning due to an elevated metabolism (professional sports and military training aside).

"I guess I will have to play with the numbers and observe the results since it seems like a specific number will be hard to come buy."

This is really the only way to do it.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:

fair enough
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Raffer View Post
I am not trying to loose weight im trying to gain it. I want to eat enough so that I put on muscle but not so much that after my body has built the muscle it has left overs that will be stored as fat. In order to determine how much extra to eat I wanted to figure out the calories i am burning in my WODs. Counting calories works for me and for many many others you guys shouldn't come on so strong. I guess I will have to play with the numbers and observe the results since it seems like a specific number will be hard to come buy.
There are exercise calculators on the web that can give you calories burned per hour by different activities based on your body mass. I would use one of those to get an estimate for something fairly intense, like martial arts. Then I would multiply by the fraction of an hour consumed by your CF workout. So if an hour of martial arts burns 500 calories, a 10-minute Helen would consume about 83. That's not an exact value, and it doesn't consider the metabolic effects, but it's as close as you're likely to get without hooking yourself up to a calorimeter.

(Both those numbers are why diet is more important than exercise in controlling weight. Even intense exercise just doesn't burn that much energy unless you do a LOT of it.)

Katherine
Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Mark Lanza

Profile:

[quote=Jeremy Raffer;630230]I am not trying to loose weight im trying to gain it. I want to eat enough so that I put on muscle but not so much that after my body has built the muscle it has left overs that will be stored as fat.

Jeremy ~
Can I ask you some questions? How much weight are you trying to gain? Are you doing CF MP WODs exclusively, or are you adding an additional exercise regimen? How long have you been CFing and what result(s) have you seen from it in terms of strength and BW? What's your training background (weightlifting, endurance, etc) prior to starting CF? What's your height and weight...and what are your weight-gain goals? Are you looking to add strength to a specific bodypart (for a specific exercise) or is this an overall strength-goal?
Finally, do you train at a CF affiliate?

M

Seri
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:

Jeremy ~
Can I ask you some questions? How much weight are you trying to gain? Are you doing CF MP WODs exclusively, or are you adding an additional exercise regimen? How long have you been CFing and what result(s) have you seen from it in terms of strength and BW? What's your training background (weightlifting, endurance, etc) prior to starting CF? What's your height and weight...and what are your weight-gain goals? Are you looking to add strength to a specific bodypart (for a specific exercise) or is this an overall strength-goal?
Finally, do you train at a CF affiliate?

M

Mark

My long term goal is to gain 10 lbs of pure muscle. I have been crossfitting for 3 weeks now I think. Just doing the WODs. I played sports through highschool and college and have been bodybuilding on and off since highschool. I also run races everynow and again. Usually 5ks in about 22-23 mins. I also do a lot of rock climbing. Im 5'7 and weigh 155 lbs with 8% bodyfat. Id like to add lower body strength since my deads and squats are weak. I can squat 250, dead 295 and not sure on press but i can bench press 225. I did 158lbs for my max on the other days hangin power cleans.

Im also going to school to study nutrition so im a strong believer in what you eat being paramount to achieving your goals.

Im a 25yr old male.

Last edited by Jeremy Raffer : 07-23-2009 at 09:13 AM.