CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Greg Light

Profile:
Good mornings vs Straight Leg Deadlift

What is the rationale for doing a good morning when straight leg deadlifts seem to accomplish the exact same thing and allow for much more comfort during sets?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Good mornings vs Straight Leg Deadlift

I'm by no means an expert on this, but isn't one a push (bar held in place, on the back) and the other a pull (bar suspended below the body, hanging from the arms) -- thus working the muscles differently?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

For one, long arms will shorten the ROM of all variations of deadlifts - not so with good mornings.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Kenneth A Hinz

Profile:

Yes, good mornings work more of the lower back with st. leg deads more on the glutes and hamstrings...
Old 07-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Mike Mallory

Profile:

good mornings/straight leg deadlifts are terrible for your back......I would never recommend them to anyone.

Reason being, the IT band will not be under tension unless the leg is bent to 20 degrees.

Try it. put your hand on the side of your leg while it's locked out.....then slowly start bending your leg, at around 20 degrees of knee flexion, the IT band will pop out. It may not be tremendously obvious, but you get the point.

If the IT band isn't under tension, then your glutes have nothing to grab onto, destabilizing the SI joint and the rest of the lumbopelvic structures.

Do romanians
Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
good mornings/straight leg deadlifts are terrible for your back......I would never recommend them to anyone.

Reason being, the IT band will not be under tension unless the leg is bent to 20 degrees.
I agree that it's easy to overdo a SL DL or good morning, but just because it's easier to hurt yourself isn't a good reason to skip it - just be careful.

Bending over straight-legged with no weight won't hurt your back. Using 200k probably will hurt your back. Somewhere in the middle is a weight which will make you stronger w/o hurting you (which is the point of strength training).

This sounds like saying that squats are bad for the knees....
Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
I agree that it's easy to overdo a SL DL or good morning, but just because it's easier to hurt yourself isn't a good reason to skip it - just be careful.

Bending over straight-legged with no weight won't hurt your back. Using 200k probably will hurt your back. Somewhere in the middle is a weight which will make you stronger w/o hurting you (which is the point of strength training).

This sounds like saying that squats are bad for the knees....
Yes it SOUNDS like the same thing, but its not the same at all......Doing squats with bad form would be bad for the knees, right?

Straight leg deadlifts are just regular deadlifts with bad form.

Why would you ever lift anything with your knees locked out like that? Why not just do a romanian?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
Yes it SOUNDS like the same thing, but its not the same at all......Doing squats with bad form would be bad for the knees, right?

Straight leg deadlifts are just regular deadlifts with bad form.

Why would you ever lift anything with your knees locked out like that? Why not just do a romanian?
1. Doing Squats improperly can do more damage than just in the kness...lower back, abs, hams, upper back, etc.

2. SLDL isn't a regular deadlift with mad form, hence the name. Sure, its very easy to use bad form and hurt yourself.

3. How are GMs bad for you? Unless you do them wrong, like any other lift, you could get hurt. But if done properly, they nail the hamstrings and some glutes.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
What is the rationale for doing a good morning when straight leg deadlifts seem to accomplish the exact same thing and allow for much more comfort during sets?

Thanks in advance
Provided your ROM for the GM is full enough, you hit your hamstrings hard in the GM however you do not have the risk of rounding your back as much as you would in the SLDL.

Westside lifters have used the GM as a Squat/DL assistance for years and it works. I don't understand why amatuer lifters are claiming it doesn't.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Mike Mallory

Profile:

textbook reason; because the glute is too long at that point too long to make any functional contribution, leaving the thoracolumbar fascia 'dangerously un-tensioned'

yeah they 'nail the hamstrings'....they also 'nail the ligamentous structures of the low back'

real world reason; because I've worked with numerous collegiate athletes who have hurt themselves with this exercise, despite 'good form'.

I'm not saying it doesn't 'work' per say.....but why would you even do it when you have romanian deadlifts?