CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Andrew Mattson

Profile:
Pull-up assist bands?

Sorry if this is on here already, searched the first 5 pages and didnt see it. Where can I purchase stretch bands to assist with pull-ups and how do i go about using them, attach one to the bar for each leg? Use only one band?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Pull-up assist bands?

They are available here: (WFS) http://www.roguefitness.com/store/product245.html

We have found that the best way to use them is loop it over the bar and through it self then put one foot in it. Have it cross your body so that the place it attaches to the bar is between your head and the hand opposite the foot that is in the band. This will allow you to kip without worrying about the band looping around your leg. The rhythm of the kip is a little effected, but it allows people to figure out how to do the motion.

They are also great for working on deadhangs if you do not already have them. We have had people as heavy as 275 lbs that were able to be assisted by the bands.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

Rogue sells them in pairs. You might want to start off with the big blue bands and also the green ones. That will give you enough leeway to work yourself out of them as you get stronger.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Randy Shrauner

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Pull-up assist bands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
They are available here: (WFS) http://www.roguefitness.com/store/product245.html

They are also great for working on deadhangs if you do not already have them. We have had people as heavy as 275 lbs that were able to be assisted by the bands.
Andrew, I have the Rogue bands and was a dainty 283# when I started out. I am down to the lightest of the three bands for reps and have 3-5 deadhangs unassisted now. As Ahmik mentioned, loop them through and throw a foot through them, or a knee if you are working off of a lower bar, and get after it. They work for pullups or dips (or to hang bumper plates off your slosh-pipe just to tick off your buddies). All the Rogue products I have ordered have been top notch and the service is great.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Wes helton

Profile:

we have the blue green and black bands at my gym... was not sure ir they would hold me being 230( and cant do a single pullup ha ha)
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

The folks at Beyond the Whiteboard did some experimentation, and put together a chart depicting relative assistance of each band and combination of bands.

It's not an absolute thing, but it will show that 2 blue bands have less assistance than a black band on its own.

They posted a link here: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=47898 (WFS)
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

Andrew,

I have used them both ways, with two feet in and out. Most of the women that I have used it with prefer both feet in as they feel more secure, but that is a generalization. The first time they step in it they don't think it will hold them...it is quite amusing. I have only used double bands once, I think it was more of a confidence thing for the person using it, b/c after that she did them with only the black band. I really wondered whether they were worth getting until I used them, and now I am totally sold on them. Now I have the convenience of working for a company that sell them so I didn't have a lot to lose when I tried them :-)

This is the the set that I use, and yes I do work for the company.
http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....ull-Up-Package (wfs)

Noah