CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
William Evans

Profile:
Shoulder Help Please!

Hi everyone...I need some help here on a problem I'm having with my right shoulder.

Some history: I first injured this shoulder back in '04 while mountain biking--I slammed into a tree shoulder first. The blow was so hard, it literally knocked me out. Went to the emergency room and had the shoulder x-rayed. Nothing was broken, diagnosis was deep bruising, I couldn't move my arm for several days. Shoulder continued to bother me, so I had an MRI done on it, but it showed no tears.

I began Crossfit around a year ago and all was going well (just some minor shoulder soreness here and there) until about a month ago when I did "Eva". The 150 Kipping pull-ups did me in. At around 60 pull-ups my shoulder began to hurt--a sharp stinging pain--but I continued to pound out the pull-ups, determined to complete the workout (stupid I know).

Ever since, my shoulder has continued to hurt. It's like a sharp pain right in the center of my shoulder whenever I lift my arm overhead or rotate my shoulder. Also, if I press on the outside of my shoulder directly into the joint, it is pretty sore.

Since the injury, I've held off on all shoulder work and pull-ups because it really hurts and my shoulder gets really sore afterward. Also, whenever I rotate my shoulder there is some significant popping and clicking.

Does anyone have any opinions on what's going on here and what I should do?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Help Please!

William,

From the sounds of things I would recommend starting over with evaluation of your shoulder. Find a good Ortho surgeon to eval and X-Ray you and your shoulder. You're prolly going to require a new MRI.

My first bet is that you have something going on inside the joint. Labral tears are notorious for not showing up on MRI. The burning quality of the pain is also complained about by many people with long head bicep tendon problems, which can be seen commonly with other shoulder problems such as labral tears.

Hope this helps,

Everett
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
William Evans

Profile:

Thanks, Everett.

That's my plan at this point--have it re-evaluated. The pain has eased off somewhat, but there's still a soreness and the popping and catching whenever I rotate my arm.

I tried a few dead hang pull-ups in my warm-up today and I had no pain until I was at the bottom of the movement (full dead hang). There was no pain at all as long as I didn't go all the way down.

Also did the thrusters on today's WOD and had very little discomfort. The pain is definitely a pulling rather than a pushing issue.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

Your welcome.

Let us know how the shoulder injury eval goes.

Everett
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, sounds like a labral problem.

Crossing the fingers it's not.