CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Scot Heyes

Profile:
What Constitutes as Active Rest?

I have been doing CrossFit for several months now, and I am still trying to get my head around rest and recovery. I have this subconscious thought that a day off will put me a day behind achieving new PR's.

What is active rest and when does this activity not become a recovery/rest day?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: What Constitutes as Active Rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Heyes View Post
I have been doing CrossFit for several months now, and I am still trying to get my head around rest and recovery. I have this subconscious thought that a day off will put me a day behind achieving new PR's.

What is active rest and when does this activity not become a recovery/rest day?
If you're doing "active rest" because you're afraid taking a day off will set you back, you're probably going too hard. Active rest is stuff like walking, stretching, yoga, maybe tossing a frisbee around with friends, maybe gymnastics skill work. It does not involve a stop watch or any significant amount of weight.

Katherine
Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I've always summed active rest up as aerobics...
Old 07-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Alex Bond

Profile:

Quote:
I have this subconscious thought that a day off will put me a day behind achieving new PR's.
You don't get strong by lifting weights, you get strong by recovering from lifting weights. Never forget this. If I wake up and my legs and back are dead, I don't hesitate to skip the day's workout and nail tomorrow's rather than have ****ty workouts that don't really push me because I am too tired.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Scot Heyes

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have been going to the gym 6 days a week and do a 10k run on the 7th day. The thinking being, as I am not in the gym this run could be counted as active rest?

I have decided that I will adopt a strict 3 days work and 1 day off system and during the day off, I will try to work on stretching, flexibility and gymnastic skills (any recommendations on length of time I should spend on these drills?). I have found a site recommended on the forum -

www.drillsandskills.com/stretching You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)

Thanks again for your help, I look forward to hopefully seeing further benefits in strength and conditioning due to more disciplined recovery days.

Last edited by Camille Lore : 07-06-2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: WFS designation
Old 07-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Running 10K wouldn't be active rest for me. It might be for a marathoner or ultramarathoner. But if that's your only "rest" day you are definitely pushing the envelope.

Katherine
Old 07-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Running 10K wouldn't be active rest for me. It might be for a marathoner or ultramarathoner.
Well in CF everything is done for time, which translates to a time trial in running terms, and should definitely not be active rest for any runner. Now a 10k at a slower pace-- that could be active rest for a runner.

A 10k for time should leave you completely wiped. Definitely not active rest!

And if you're not doing it for time, it's too much volume to be able to hit it hard the next day. An easy 5k would be better. Unless you really enjoy running that much, in which case I say go for it!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I have been going to the gym 6 days a week and do a 10k run on the 7th day. The thinking being, as I am not in the gym this run could be counted as active rest?

I have decided that I will adopt a strict 3 days work and 1 day off system and during the day off, I will try to work on stretching, flexibility and gymnastic skills (any recommendations on length of time I should spend on these drills?). I have found a site recommended on the forum -

www.drillsandskills.com/stretching

Thanks again for your help, I look forward to hopefully seeing further benefits in strength and conditioning due to more disciplined recovery days.
Scot,

If you want to increase flexibility, your stretching day shouldn't really be easy...instead your stretching day should be a 30-45 minute bout between your will and your body...

Now if you just want to stretch to say you "stretched" like most...then that's not that big a deal.