CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-27-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Marcus Jenkins

Profile:
Paleo Diet Question: Why not wild rice?

I have been doing the Paleo diet (for the most part) for the past month or so now. One of the foods-to-avoid on this diet is wild rice. I do not understand why. Wild rice is not the same as regular rice. Probably the Native Americans who originally ate this were hunter-gatherers. It does not require cultivation, it just grows wild. The Native Americans went out on their canoes and struck the grassy stalks. The seeds just fell in the bottom of the canoes. Wild rice is higher in protein and is glutein free they say. In any case I have put wild rice and rolled oats back on my list of foods even though under the Paleo Diet it should be avoided.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet Question: Why not wild rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Jenkins View Post
I have been doing the Paleo diet (for the most part) for the past month or so now. One of the foods-to-avoid on this diet is wild rice. I do not understand why. Wild rice is not the same as regular rice. Probably the Native Americans who originally ate this were hunter-gatherers. It does not require cultivation, it just grows wild. The Native Americans went out on their canoes and struck the grassy stalks. The seeds just fell in the bottom of the canoes. Wild rice is higher in protein and is glutein free they say. In any case I have put wild rice and rolled oats back on my list of foods even though under the Paleo Diet it should be avoided.
It's something of a myth that paleolithic hunter-gatherers didn't eat grains because they did however they were not a dietary staple and in most cases they were eaten in relatively modest amounts. So if you like wild rice enjoy because there's absolutely no reason not to eat it.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

I also thought wild rice was good to go.

Where did you read that it wasn't paleo?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Marcus Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
I also thought wild rice was good to go.

Where did you read that it wasn't paleo?
On page 110 of the Paleo Diet book, Cereal grains to avoid...
Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Rene Forestier

Profile:

I have to admit I've only read Paleo for Athletes...it doesn't mention wild rice.

I guess it makes sense...its pretty starchy...not very nutrient dense...similar in its "non-paleoness" to buckwheat.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Key to diet success( or failure): adjust diet to your body/mind. Track results and change accordingly.

M&Ms aren't paleo either....but...
Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bailly View Post
Key to diet success( or failure): adjust diet to your body/mind. Track results and change accordingly.

M&Ms aren't paleo either....but...
No offense, but I hate comments like this...they are not helpful to someone who is trying to be strict.

Nutrition to me is not always about "titrating to performance". Sometimes its about making choices based on the best info out there that may affect health YEARS down the road...IMO paleo may have health implications that will take a long time to show up.

In a similar stream, I also hate the "everything in moderation" advice. Aristotle was wise, but this advice gets perverted to "moderate intake of ice-cream, plus moderate intake of grains, plus moderate intake of M&Ms, plus moderate intake of Cheetos, and on and on...equals a crappy diet.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
No offense, but I hate comments like this...they are not helpful to someone who is trying to be strict.

Nutrition to me is not always about "titrating to performance". Sometimes its about making choices based on the best info out there that may affect health YEARS down the road...IMO paleo may have health implications that will take a long time to show up.

In a similar stream, I also hate the "everything in moderation" advice. Aristotle was wise, but this advice gets perverted to "moderate intake of ice-cream, plus moderate intake of grains, plus moderate intake of M&Ms, plus moderate intake of Cheetos, and on and on...equals a crappy diet.
Then just eat junk food in general moderately? When you eat a moderate amount of grains + m&ms + cheets + ice cream, it is no longer moderation

Everyone is different and are affected by food differently so you have to experiment and see what works for you personally.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S Park View Post
Then just eat junk food in general moderately? When you eat a moderate amount of grains + m&ms + cheets + ice cream, it is no longer moderation

Everyone is different and are affected by food differently so you have to experiment and see what works for you personally.
You made my points.

I use "everything in moderation" to mean "junk food in moderation", but many people who supposedly have "healthy" diets seem to think it means something different.

...and my point about long term effects...one may have to wait years before you "see what works"...this is different from something like "try 20g more carbohydrates and see how you feel tomorrow".

I'm not trying to be difficult. If someone wants to know if wild rice is paleo, that's a valid question. He shouldn't get the old "try it and see advice", or "a little won't hurt you" advice...he may think, as I do, that a little (of some things) may hurt you in the long run.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 06-27-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Scott Clark

Profile:

Whole grains by no means belong in the same camp as M&Ms and ice cream.