CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Calluses have completely ripped open...

today while I was doing some kipping pull ups w/some new and very coarse athletic tape wrapped around the bar, three of the four calluses on the top of my palms opposite the knuckles ripped open.

I cut the skin off w/some nail clippers, washed my hands and then let them air dry. It hurts to touch anything right now and I'm worried about how I'll be able to do my WODs until the skin grows back.

Did I let my calluses grow too thick? Should I shave them down more often? I don't wan to put work out w/bandaids or tape on them because any newly grown skin will rip off when I remove the band aid or tape.

What if I wear some rubber gloves and then use straps just until my hands heal?

I can't be the only one that has had this problem... how do you work your way around this?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Departed

Profile:  
Re: Calluses have completely ripped open...

You should check out the video clips on hand care by CFLA. What I do when my calluses rip open is just wrap some padded gauze around them and then tape on top of that. It's enough padding that they don't rip back open and the tape doesn't hurt to pull off after the WOD.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Omar Omar

Profile:

Opss. You got it wrong buddy. Many people think we tape our hands by LITERALLY sticking the tape to our palms to fingers. Thats not how its done and that does not protect rips at all. When we tape, we roll the tape on its self and umm...

watch to the end and you will know exactly what I mean

http://www.crossfitdavis.com/crossfi...s-for-pull-ups (WFS)

So if you saw the whole thing you will realise that the tape doesnot stick to our palms or fingers.

Also as refrence. Most athletes use tapes when they have calluses that may rip or to prevent calluses from forming. NOT to protect ones that have ALREADY ripped. This means that even if you were gloves you ripped calluses will hurt for a while.

I ripped my first and it was so annoying. Its like a mission to wash and use soap, Scrub shamppo and do many other things.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Actually, we make tape grips for a lot of the kids in gym if we have the time before they rip. They may work after they rip, if it's just the 1st layer. If it's a 2nd layer rip, maybe. If it's a 3rd layer...well they are probably bleeding quite a bit and it's a mess in general.

In general, your hands will need time to roughen up and this only happens over time. You can try to shave and file your callouses down but sometimes it just happens.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
John C Corona

Profile:

Cool video for protection. But mostly, I would just use gauss and tape over that with electrical tape. I prolley should get some of that athletic tape.

Anyway, don't worry, it only stings the 'day of', then you just need to protect the healing for a few days after...maybe weeks tops. Now I am thinking I need to tape for prevention on heavy pull-up days.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Many CF'ers superglue their rips back on and I've seen it done but I dunno if the skin dries out and comes off or peels off.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
Joy M. Smolinski

Profile:
Prevent

My trainer got me hooked on using a Dremel to sand down calluses. It works wonders! I have not had a rip since. Even after doing Barbara this week.
I keep it in my truck and when I'm at a stop light I sand away...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Courtney Green

Profile:

This was my experience from being on Colorguard and rifles in high school and then later on an NCAA rowing team. I definitely had my fair share of ripped open calluses and here is what I did for those workouts. I took a thin strip of gauze and put over the ripped/raw areas (after carefully trimming the dead skin). Then, I used a type of padded adhesive (I forgot the name), it's like a thin strip of foam that is sticky on one side. It comes in a roll, and I believe it is a sort of medical tape. Put a layer of this over the gauze (make sure gauze completely covers raw areas) or add a little more if you need the extra cushion. Finally, wrap completely with athletic tape, wrapping around all knuckles. Make sure it is secure, and be sure to leave a little room so you can still bend your fingers at the knuckles. This always worked best for me and you don't have to worry about the newly grown skin ripping off when you remove it, because gauze is protecting the wound. As long as you don't put adhesive directly over the open calluses, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend the rubber gloves as this would only rub and create friction on the wound.

Also, ONLY wrap your hands during exercise. Make sure your hands air dry the rest of the day. This will speed up healing time. And, I would stay away from exercises that put a lot of pressure on your hands for the next couple of weeks, such as the hand stand pushup and the like. Hope this helps and good luck!