CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Jason Costantino

Profile:
Military Group PT ideas

Hey all you military guys out there and other crossfit guru's who might want to throw in some ideas. Here is the situation. I am looking to spice up our military group excercise sessions by designing a program around Crossfit.

FYI: This is an Air Force Reserve unit that will only do this workout 1-2 times a month.

Now those of you who are in the military generally know how these sessions go, some really weak stretching warmups, followed by some pushups/situps/leglifts and then a slow run of some type. This is better than nothing but does not really garner any intensity, fun, or results.

Now keep in mind we are really going to have some wide ranges of fitness levels (no surprise obviously) and a huge group of about 80 people. I am not trying to get anyone to pass out, but I do want to challenge them without causing any injuries. It is hard to observe 80 people at once. The program should last about 30 minutes.

I figure something involving Burpees, Air Squats, and Pushups would be good with maybe some running in between rounds, but I want to see what all of you experts out there suggest. I am sure you can come up with the perfect workout or workouts to challenge these military members who work a full time civilian job, but sacrifice their weekends and months on end for deployments in order to serve their country.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
David Boyle

Profile:
Re: Military Group PT ideas

What kind of gear/equipment does your base/gym have?

That is very important.

I am about to hit the rack right now...

But you can always check out the Military crossfit aff. gyms...they have some great workouts on there.

I'll post some of my workouts that my Marines and I do tomorrow am.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Scott Moore.

Profile:

I recomend: Angie, Barbara, Chealsea, Cindy, Micheal, and Griff if you don't know what they are, go to main page and look under FAQs (not trying to insult your intelligence, just letting you know where to find them.)

If you don't have enough pull-up bars available, sub in burpees. Scale the exercises as needed. Cindy and Chealsea are especially good because it allows people to work at their own pace.

Break the groups down into their sections (squads, platoons, etc) and have the section leader keep track of times and numbers. Post results and encourage people to try to improve upon them.

Too easy
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36

Last edited by Scott Moore. : 06-04-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #4
Jason Costantino

Profile:

I appreciate the input guys, gym equipment is not an option because we PT before the gym even opens plus with 80 guys it would be hard to share eqipment. Pullup bars are also scarce so we are going to have to stick with body weight type resistance moves.

No insult taken Scott, I know where to find them but I was just trying to see if there were any other members out there who had already figured out what works best for military PT in these huge groups. I am going to look over your suggestions today.

David I would love to see what kind of workout your Marines are doing. What size group are you guys working in?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Hey Jason,

A very similar question was answered on the MilitaryAthlete site. If you are not familiar with it, MA is a great program that is very similar to CrossFit, with some very distinct differences.

Anyhow, Rob came up with a great answer, and even if it doesn't totally fit your situation, it will probably help you a bit. Scroll down a bit to see the answer to the email question.

http://www.militaryathlete.com/subpa...304&page_ID=28
(link is wfs)
Old 06-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
David Boyle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Costantino View Post
I appreciate the input guys, gym equipment is not an option because we PT before the gym even opens plus with 80 guys it would be hard to share eqipment. Pullup bars are also scarce so we are going to have to stick with body weight type resistance moves.

No insult taken Scott, I know where to find them but I was just trying to see if there were any other members out there who had already figured out what works best for military PT in these huge groups. I am going to look over your suggestions today.

David I would love to see what kind of workout your Marines are doing. What size group are you guys working in?

Hey Jason, sorry for the delay.

Since you guys have no gear, you can utiliize sandbags. Sandbags are very cost effective and an awesome piece of training equip.

You can get sanbags by the bulk at any Home Depot, Lowes, or any other hardware store.

After you buy your sanbags, all you need is some trashbags, duck-tape, and a scale for weight measure.

Place a small/medium size trashbag into the sandbag. (This keeps all the sand inside two sources in case the bag breaks)

Once you have it filled to your desired weight (...this is where the scale comes in....) start duck-taping it all around.

If your duck-tape is green...then the whole sandbag should be green after your done. The duck-tape is another way to keep from sand leakage.

Most sandbags can be filled up to around 60-63lbs.

I have 3 sanbags myself. 25lb-35lb-61lb.

They come in handy for workouts which cause you to carry something.

Also great for just slamming on the ground to simulate tire slams w/ a sledge hammer.

You can use them as substitutes for medicine balls/wall balls and pretty much anything else.

You can also fill them them half-way...and use the space at the end for a handle...and perform swings, snatches, and press's w/ them...ie KB lifts.

Again your imagination is what is going to limit you.

I have 16 Marines that work for me, and we are blessed to pretty much have whatever equipment we need.

With that being said, we still pull out the sandbags everynow and then for group pt and also you can throw em in a ruck sack and hike w/ them too.

Very cost effective...and bring much pain for PT!

Last edited by David Boyle : 06-06-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Eric Doolittle

Profile:

One of the ideas that I've always liked is doing a Fight Gone Bad style PT session. Someone on here floated the idea a while back, if I could remember who I'd give them credit Pick 5 exercises, do them each for 1 minute, plus 1 minute rest between rounds. Repeat for 3 rounds. Or 5 If you don't have any equipment, pick things like push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, air squats, burpees, flutter kicks, etc. You can have people pair up, one person works while the other counts, then switch.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Encourage intensity by keeping score. Having squad leaders and posting times, are good ideas. Make it as intense as possible, even if you have to give a little 30 second brief on why training intensely for short periods improves both anaerobic and aerobic fitness. Definitely throw in some air squats and demand proper form.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

Team Workouts. A lot of them.

Groups of 4, one working at a time, stress honest movement.

Also, I've done this workout with a platoon of about 120:

Cindy+
Break them down in groups of 30 (4)

One group starts at pullup bars x 5
one group starts doing squats x 10
one group starts doing pushups x 15
one group starts doing box jumps x 20 (we had benches).. you can improvise this

20 minute amrap... rotate... it looks crazy but they thought it was great, and it worked well.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Rick Kolberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Doolittle View Post
One of the ideas that I've always liked is doing a Fight Gone Bad style PT session. Someone on here floated the idea a while back, if I could remember who I'd give them credit Pick 5 exercises, do them each for 1 minute, plus 1 minute rest between rounds. Repeat for 3 rounds. Or 5 If you don't have any equipment, pick things like push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, air squats, burpees, flutter kicks, etc. You can have people pair up, one person works while the other counts, then switch.
Eric is right...."Fight Gone Bad" is what got me hooked on CrossFit. NO BS! Tabata squats are goooood burner too. 20 seconds on 10 seconds off x 10 rnds. To paraphrase what another guys said. Your Imagination is the only thing standing in between you and your Airmen's fitness (no offese) I understand the large number issue too.

I have 20 guys, and not all of the want to try crossfit they are the more traditional weightlifters, so i let them do it. I have that luxury in the forward deployed area, but if we were back home....they'd be doin Fight gone bad twice a week along with a ruck march, so good luck bro.

SSG K