CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Paul Eichengrun

Profile:
Planning 600 sqft Facility Layout

Here's my floor plan for outfitting a 600 sqft facility. I've attached screen shots of my proposed layout.

I'm looking for feedback on how this design may be flawed when it comes to actually running classes. What changes can be made to improve the functionality of this small space?

There is a 12ft roll up garage door at the front. Finished ceiling is 13ft. There will be one bathroom with a shower stall. The space is an empty canvas. If you would like access to the Sketchup CAD file to play with it, message me and I'll send it along.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overhead front left.jpg (102.1 KB, 3567 views)
File Type: jpg overhead front right.jpg (93.7 KB, 3059 views)
File Type: jpg looking in roll up door.jpg (81.9 KB, 3138 views)
File Type: jpg back xray.jpg (93.0 KB, 4136 views)
File Type: jpg birds eye.jpg (44.6 KB, 2014 views)
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:
Re: Planning 600 sqft Facility Layout

Hey, CrossFit Salem is almost exactly the same size as you have here. I am soon to move out but my garage is 15" wide by 36" long and one roll up door at the end. Here are some tips.

1. You'll end up with a lot of misc stuff not in your sketches... push it all to the back end. In a long skinny space you want your storage all at the ends to maximize the open square floor space.

2. Utilize the walls for storage, you don't have the luxary to dump everything on the floor. I have wall shelves for med balls, the clock, the stereo, misc stuff).

3. Don't dedicate any space to one activitiy, you don't have room for it. I don't use lifting platforms for this reason. If you need to do some serious lifting just drop down a sheet of plywood and create the lifting platform for that event. My pull up racks are all in the ceiling... I don't recommend the walls for this as it limits your space for wall ball and other activities.

4. Use your outside space as much as possible for WOD's, my driveway is essential for me now.

5. Don't get any jump boxes that won't stack, mine stack to the ceiling to reduce floor space. I don't use the cone shapes boxes because they don't stack well and are a ***** to pull apart. All my boxes (I have about 20) are the exact same dimensions (length and width only) and stack to produce different heights.

6. Create a wall mounted bar holder (I got pic's somewhere).

Good luck... even with all this I am still only able to train about 8 people at once if I can't use the outside because of weather. There is likely some pics of our space on my site (www.crossfitsalem.net).

Andy
Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
James Napier

Profile:

I'm no expert, just random thoughts:

Seems uneven with 5 pullup stations, three oly bars and 2 rowers. Shouldn't there be the same number of each?

What if you put the pullup bars higher (with a box for reach) with an oly bar under or in front of each and stow a rower behind each station.
Can you ditch the wood platform and just use mats or is it a personal preference? Are squat racks an absolute must for your programming? I realize they are nice and functional; maybe only need one set?

How many people are you planning on working out at the same time while doing the same exercise?

I have worked out in a garage gym with 6 of us juggling positions and often wonder how it would have worked out if there were 6 of everything given enough room for 6 bars, pullups and rowers. We are working with 5 bars, 3 pullups, 2 rowers, many dbs/kbs/balls; so, I understand equipment and space constraints, but if this is a new plan and equipment has not been ordered yet...

What about hanging a single pullup bar from ceiling along the center of the room and or at garage door?

Last edited by James Napier : 06-03-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: pullup bar location
Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

There's never enough pull-up space and once you hang rings off them - when doing dips & pull-ups you need double pull-up space.

Get rid of the platforms. In such a small space they'll make it way harder to organize stuff.

Get the new Garage Gym store squat racks that adjust in width and become dip bars to save space and become multifunctional. Or get squat stands that are separate and don't have a central bracket.

Lots of shelving. If you can put **** away - put it away.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
James Napier

Profile:

I wonder what a crossfit box would be like without pullup bars, but instead just having rings hanging everywhere.

Simplify: rings, oly bars, rowers, kbs, a ghd and mats
Old 06-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Get rid of the platforms. In such a small space they'll make it way harder to organize stuff.
Wow Leonid, I am surprised to hear such suggestion come from you, a big oly guy.

I don't see how the platforms change make hard to organize anything or make it an exclusive oly lift place. All that it changes is the floor material, the space is the same! My platforms are highly useful for a host of other things besides oly lifting, like powerlifting, calisthenics, KB work, DB work, MB work. In fact I love it because it helps coordinate my groups positioning, so I highly recommend it and am definately glad to see you incorporate it in your facility given their importance in weightlifting.

I really like your plan. It is open with everything to the sides. My only suggestion would be to hang more rings throughout the center of you facility. You can lower than or raise them as needed and it will save you pull up space. Good job and good luck!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Paul Eichengrun

Profile:

Lots of great feedback already, thank you.

Andy: Great ideas on how to organize the space. I checked out some pictures of your space and your layout. Very nice. You are correct that there is some equipment not shown in the sketch, I'm adding that as I go, just wanted to get the basics down first.

Your ceilings are low which make mounting pullup bars on them easier. With a 13' ceiling it would be easier for me to go wall or ground/wall. I'm leaning toward wall only for more floor space. I'm thinking bars mounted 7.5-8' high should give ample room underneath. I've seen these pullup bars at Albany Crossfit and Crossfit NRV and they work well. I don't know if there is space for throwing a ball between the bar and the wall from underneath it, but at 30" from the wall I think it might work. Hopefully someone here has tried this and can chime in.

Great suggestions on stackable boxes. I'm planning on making some of these soon: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=45151 (WFS). Same with wall mounted bars. I've seen pictures of the wall mounted bars at Crossfit Park City, def a good idea.

Andy/Leo/Celio: The lifting platforms I'm proposing are not raised, simply a sheet of 3/4" plywood instead of a rubber mat. Moving the squat stands when not in use is a good idea to create more usable space. I'm not too concerned about the difference in flooring as long as the height is the same. Celio's experience with this exact setup makes me think it's a good compromise.

Leo: Great suggestion on the multifunction squat stands from Garage Gym.

James: True about the lack of bars, I didn't want to clutter the sketch with bars all over the floor but I should add more to see how they'll fit. I'll add some more when I get a chance to update the drawings.

Celio: I like the idea of more ceiling mounted rings. I'll add them to the design and see how it looks.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Leif Lake

Profile:

Very cool CAD program- If you stick with the platforms I would go with more than 4ft inbtween.. My set up is similar-same space issues- good luck
Old 06-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Space is a lot easier to use without platforms. Learned on experience. I love Olympic lifting but if you'd ask me how to run a group of 8-10 people out of a small place and whether I'd have platforms - the answer would be "No". Platforms are good but they make it harder to organize space.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Don't really have an experience with this, but what about utilizing a Base Fit system? With that you'd get 10 single chin bars, 8 double chin bars, 6 dip pins, and 3 "squat racks" all in an 8x8 space.