CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Justin Green

Profile:
Need Lose Weight

I am 26 6'2" 265 lbs., I have been doing Crossfit for a months 3 on 1 off, and Zoning off and on for about 2 but more seriously the last few weeks. My quandry is that I am about 60 lbs. overweight and I am seriously interested in losins weight. It just doesn't seem to be happening. My question is do I just need to stop being a ***** or is there a more realistic way of "skinning" the zone to lose weight? Any help would be great. Did anyone experience more rapid weightloss after switching to Paleo?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Chris Sanders

Profile:
Re: Need Lose Weight

Justin,
I am in the same boat as you are! I started out at 315lbs and down to 275 now. But the last month or so I haven't lost any. I asked myself this same question and even asked it in one of my other posts. All I can tell you is take the advice you hear from these people and go balls out on it.
Good luck.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

You don't want rapid weight loss. You want slow and steady weight loss.

There are basically three things you should be worrying about:

1. Work out hard
Don't neglect your strength work even though you want to lose weight.
Short, intense metcons (5-15 minutes) are better for you than longer, less intense metcons (20-30 minutes).

2. Good recovery
Get lots of sleep and make sure not too overdo it.

3. Food quality
This is where most of your gains will come from.
"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar."

If you follow this, things will start to fall into place for you. Slowly, but surely. Measure your progress by performance, not weight, and the weight will follow.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Jason David

Profile:

I lost just under a pound a week. For about 95 weeks for a total of about 85 lbs.

Just be consistent.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Weight loss isn't a goal it's a side effect.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Justin,

Get your meals plugged in to www.fitday.com wfs and give us an idea of what you eat on an average day. Be honest. If it is ate up, put it on there. Post your results.

While many will not recommend weight loss as a goal, for you, obviously, it is a goal. What are your other goals? Benchmarks?
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Justin Green

Profile:

Nice work Chris! Keep it up man that is some good losing. Julius I have read the "eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit little starch, no sugar" mantra so much that it is almost a no brain-er. But, I stray in the form of tortillas, soy milk, bread, lactose products (cheese, sour cream, yogurt, etc.) and I think that it is time to start weening my way off of some of that. For some reason it just started being real to me that it would be so much better for me to change those foods to "meat and vegetable, nuts and seeds, little starch, no sugar". Jason did you average that afterward or has it been a constant deal? Are you eating paleo or Zone? Do you cheat? How often? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks for responding. To Tom Seryak: If you want to call weightloss a side effect that's fine. It can be a side effect along with strength, stamina, endurance, balance power...so on, of hard work and proper training. In that vein it is important to identify the "side effects" that you want from your training in order to properly design and follow your training program and your diet. So don't belittle weight loss just because it isn't one of your goals or desired "side effects". Games in semantics are checkers, I play chess. Thanks everyone for responding.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
Mat Frankel

Profile:

Justin I just wanted to say something quick and it's that theres no magic thats going to happen where you do CF and eat right and you wake up fit. It takes ALOT of hard work and dedication. Results will come, so don't get frustrated when you saw an ab yesterday and can't see it today. You get what i'm saying?
This leads into "cheating". If one of your goals is to lose weight, really try not to cheat. Why would you. Thats like a smoker saying I want to stop smoking but I'll just have one day where I can have as many as I want then I will be back to it. Keep consistant and once you reach a weight your happy with, then consider a cheat meal. I personally have a cheat meal a week, but its usually just an extra large amount of healthyish foods. Live life, but don't overinduldge.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #9
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Green View Post
Nice work Chris! Keep it up man that is some good losing. Julius I have read the "eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit little starch, no sugar" mantra so much that it is almost a no brain-er. But, I stray in the form of tortillas, soy milk, bread, lactose products (cheese, sour cream, yogurt, etc.) and I think that it is time to start weening my way off of some of that. For some reason it just started being real to me that it would be so much better for me to change those foods to "meat and vegetable, nuts and seeds, little starch, no sugar". Jason did you average that afterward or has it been a constant deal? Are you eating paleo or Zone? Do you cheat? How often? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks for responding. To Tom Seryak: If you want to call weightloss a side effect that's fine. It can be a side effect along with strength, stamina, endurance, balance power...so on, of hard work and proper training. In that vein it is important to identify the "side effects" that you want from your training in order to properly design and follow your training program and your diet. So don't belittle weight loss just because it isn't one of your goals or desired "side effects". Games in semantics are checkers, I play chess. Thanks everyone for responding.
I eat paleo/zone. Paleo + cottage cheese and coffee...little cheese and vinegar.

16 blocks. It's been slow and steady but more consistent on the zone. (Just started subbing fat 3:1 for half of my carbs) we'll see how that goes.

I cheat about 3 or 4 meals per week. Drink about 1x per week unless I'm gearing up for a competition (regionals/fittest in MI etc..). In that case I'm pretty strict. Not a drop of booze for about 4 weeks leading up to regionals and nary a grain.

Last edited by Jason David : 06-02-2009 at 06:22 AM.