CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Melissa Whittle

Profile:
Re: CF and asthma

I've got exercise induced asthma too, and I keep it under control by using an inhaler before Crossfit workouts. Having an asthma attack while you are working out really sucks! As Matt suggested, you might try dropping grains and sugar, as that usually seems to help most people. Intermittent fasting has also been known to help, if that is something you are willing to experiment with. I would also try supplementing with vitamin D3...I started doing so a few months ago and my asthma has dramatically improved since. I can't be certain that was what did it, since there are other factors including airborne allergens that can change by the season. But vitamin D is cheap and most of us are deficient anyway, so try it -- it might help you.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
Kevin Moore

Profile:

I was born with asthma. I had it so bad I was in a air tent when I was born. Right now I take Albuteral Inhaler and Advair disc. If I take the advair in the morning, or a puff of inhaler prior to working out, I am usually ok. I have also found out that the better conditioned I get, the less a problem asthma is. Also, control your allergies.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Whittle View Post
I've got exercise induced asthma too, and I keep it under control by using an inhaler before Crossfit workouts. Having an asthma attack while you are working out really sucks! As Matt suggested, you might try dropping grains and sugar, as that usually seems to help most people. Intermittent fasting has also been known to help, if that is something you are willing to experiment with. I would also try supplementing with vitamin D3...I started doing so a few months ago and my asthma has dramatically improved since. I can't be certain that was what did it, since there are other factors including airborne allergens that can change by the season. But vitamin D is cheap and most of us are deficient anyway, so try it -- it might help you.

Good luck!
We CFers are data driven, right? I would like to see some data showing that reducing grains and sugars helps asthma.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I could only see that being true if you were allergic to something like gluten, lactose, etc. or had a serious vitamin deficiency (which taking a daily multivitamin would prevent and cutting out foods wouldn't). I certainly have never noticed any relationship between my diet and my asthma except for my weight. Although my doctor did recommend drinking black coffee during attacks saying the caffeine could help.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Eddie Watts

Profile:

dairy is more likely i think. in some people can cause additional mucus build up which gives lungs more work before you even think about working out
Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

Anecdotally, my asthma is typically worse after eating wheat stuff for a few days. But I'm also gluten and wheat sensitive, so I'm not sure it would have the same effect on people who do not have those sensitivies. Not sure about the sugar linkage.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Lou Cabales

Profile:

i recently moved back to fla from CA. i havent had exercise stress induced asthma for years. until recently (i aslo havent been working out with any intensity in years) well a shot of albuterol helps but if i forget then everyone can hear me wheeze. the heavy wheeze is strictly exercise stress induced. it never happens casually.

thanks for the info, im going to try diet stuff. but i think mine may be allergy related, due to change of climes. no wheat but i do have frequently have cottage cheese for breakfast.

i frequently have expirational wheeze but only at end of deep exhale. but not on inhale. could this also be mild asthma? (listened with stethoscope)

re: coffee- i knew tea has theophyline (sp) in it. but coffee is new i found this WFS article on web http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6700656.

looks like ill be adding tea and coffee pre WOD
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
Robin Davis

Profile:

I tried the inhaler before today's workout and I did a lot better. It was also overcast and raining, as opposed to the 90+degree temps we've been seeing in sunny Fl.

Anyone else notice temp making a difference to their asthma attacks? Just curious.

Never considered the dairy, grain, sugar ideas. Interested in doing some more research on those angles.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #19
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Wow, Lou bringing up theophylline has me thinking about the taste of theodore sprinkles...now that is gagworthy.

Temp can be killer although for me it's the opposite. If I try and run on a very cold day, around freezing, it's much worse than on a warm day. Probably just the lungs tightening up from the cold.

I don't have much trouble from asthma in the heat, but this time of year there is so much pollen and junk in the air that you may have trouble just from the particulate matter let alone allergies.

I notice I have more trouble after a few days in a row of rain too, must be something about molds or certain weeds.

Asthma is one of those very complicated things that can have all sorts of triggers. I've had problems due to detergents, perfumes, bad ozone days, cold, pollution, etc.

Oxygen is underappreciated. Some days I wish I was crossfitting at sea level instead of a mile high.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 06-04-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #20
Chris Witkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post

Temp can be killer although for me it's the opposite. If I try and run on a very cold day, around freezing, it's much worse than on a warm day. Probably just the lungs tightening up from the cold.

I don't have much trouble from asthma in the heat, but this time of year there is so much pollen and junk in the air that you may have trouble just from the particulate matter let alone allergies.

I notice I have more trouble after a few days in a row of rain too, must be something about molds or certain weeds.

Asthma is one of those very complicated things that can have all sorts of triggers. I've had problems due to detergents, perfumes, bad ozone days, cold, pollution, etc.

Oxygen is underappreciated. Some days I wish I was crossfitting at sea level instead of a mile high.

Plus. The whole conversation on the diet, grains and sugar etc, having a link to asthma, I think it's possible. I have severe acid reflux. I probably was born with a hiatal hernia which allowed acid to spill onto my esphogas my entire life. Hence, now diagnosed with Barrett's Esphogas-a possible cancer causer. I had surgery on my esphogas, laproscopic nissen fundlopication, which made a one-way valve going into my stomach. Besides the fact this has caused me tremendous amounts of bloating, it has cleared a lot of my asthma up. I used to take my albuterol 3 or more times a day plus 2 times a day of advair. Now I'm doing the above said doses.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you have any type of acid reflux and whatever is causing it, may be causing serious asthma problems. Don't have the numbers, just the experience.