CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Pascal Toussaint

Profile:
inside elbow pain / pullups

Since a weighted pullups workout, I have a slight pain inside the elbow. Nothing teared or too painful but more of a disagrement. I can do some pullups but not as hard, fast and long sets as usual.

I'm thinking about doing regular pullups to avoid the bounce at bottom.

The main thing I want is to avoid injury.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !
Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: inside elbow pain / pullups

Sounds like medial epicondylitis. Google that for more info to see if its what you have

General tendonitis prescription:
Quote:
1. Rest. Especially if it's JUST mild overuse. If it's chronic then pure rest may not help.
2. Ice after any use & when sore. 15-30 mins per sessions for couple times a day. Direct ice massage ON the skin works the best.
3. Light stretch, not painful for agonists; strengthen antagonists. So stretch flexors, strengthen extensors *until* pain subsides (medial epicondylitis -- opposite for lateral epicondylitis). Then strengthen everything (my pref = rice bucket)
4. Self massage... cross friction and myofascial release the whole area inbetween both joints that surround it (shoulder to wrist for medial epicondlyitis; ankle-hip for something knee; etc.). As much as possible... at least 30 mins a day if not more. Also, tennis ball/golf ball areas & foam roll
5. Anti-inflammatories/NSAIDs. Fish oil is a good one.
6. Stay away from painful exercises. Period. It hurts, don't do them. Should be obvious but people don't listen.
7. Light eccentric exercises tend to help ESPECIALLY if the muscle(s) aggravated cannot smoothly do it.
8. + joint/cartilage health supplements like glucosamine & chondroin sulfate, MSM, shark, etc. Might be a good idea to start eating the cartilage and tendons off your meat too.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Hank Castelain

Profile:

What Steve said.....
I spoke with old college buddy last night (Orthopaedic Surgeon) who had surgery for the same injury 6 months ago. His work is very difficult as he cuts, saws, screws bones all day. He rested from his workouts but the daily work was not letting him recover so he ended up needing surgery. I have been screwing around with this for a month and his words last night convinced me to rest for the next month or run the risk of another trip under the knife.

I will run, bike, do lower body workouts until post 4 July.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Sounds like medial epicondylitis. Google that for more info to see if its what you have

General tendonitis prescription:
Thanks Steven! I reallllly needed this :-)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Jon Friedland

Profile:

I had the exact same issue. My thinking in hindsite is that the human body was not made to perform 100 pullups in a row. Steven Low's reply is right on. I tried all of that with no help. I wound up getting a cortizone injection just below the elbow joint which finally stopped the dull inflamation and pain. My doctor (a top sports med doc in NYC) said that he wanted me to be a guinea pig and use Flexor patches as the cortizone injections for this application are hit or miss. I said I have no time to experiment and got the injection. It has worked great and 2 months later I am back to sets of 10 pullups. Any more and I do feet on the ground pullups with a wrist strap. Slow and steady progress. I don't think I'll be back to 100 rx'd pullups anytime soon but who knows.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Sounds kinda like the ol' tennis elbow. You snuck a few matches of tennis in, didn't you? I knew it.

Anyway, working the whole area will produce an inflammation response that is not direct, yet produces a general increase in bloodflow to the area to promote healing. This is the same concept that they've used on race horses for decades (hot iron holes into the skin up the back of the lower leg segment to produce a general inflammation to heal the tendonitis issue -- if someone knows the term for this PM me because it's fun to learn).

In any case, I've had lots of people get a benefit from the human equivalent of "rolling up a newspaper exercise", except we have a nifty little machine that produces the resistance. You could also be holding light dumbbells and supinating/pronating the forearm. However, the first exercise, according to my Masters participants, is the best.

I'm sure you can agree that doing high volume pull-up work, particularly bouncing and kipping around, will not help the immediate situation.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I had pain on the inside of my elbow in the classic "tennis elbow" spot from a bunch of pull-ups that was cleared up with a lot of soft tissue work (ART and Graston technique) on my forearm. Go find someone that is certified in both, and you'll be better after 2-3 treatment sessions.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Jon Clingenpeel

Profile:

Best of luck to you, I'm going on 2 1/2 months with this. First month I tried resting (I did the occasional set of; pull-ups which did not help), I then went to the ortho, he gave me two options PT or cortizone shot. I took the PT which I started last week. The PT is helping (ultrasound w/ some kind of anti-inflamatory medicine, masage, exercises, stretching and ice with stem). Also don't take NSAID's (aleive is one) too long, it can impeade the muscle repair.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
Victor Putz

Profile:

I fight this on and off myself, and don't even do that much pullup volume! Lots of rest seems to help. I'm able to do the rest of my workout without trouble, but pullups always seem to bring back the pain after a few weeks. More stretching, more massage!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yay! Exactly what I'm going through in my elbow and shoulders. Methinks underrecovery and possibly too many levers+pullups (?).