CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Question Nutritional Advice for 64 year old woman trying to lose weight

Ok it's not me, it's my mum.

My nutrition has always been geared around paleo for athletes, IF and zone and it's pretty well dialed. I have never needed to lose weight, on the contrary I like to gear my diet around packing on muscle and being healthy and I really know what I'm doing in that respect.

My mum asked me tonight how she can lose a stone in weight and it sorta has me stumped.

I have been preaching at her for years on nutrition and she has always been averse to my eating - if you are paleo you'll know what I mean here - "why don't you eat your potatoes?" (we are Irish)... So when she said to me tonight - I'll give it a shot cos I really want to lose weight I really didn't know what to say cos her diet really isn't that bad and she does a fair bit of walking...

Her diet is heavy on fruit - breakfast is usually porridge, made with water and fruit or just fruit. She's old school low fat... Lunch is soup or salad and dinner is salad with cheese, or root veggies with chicken - stuff like that. Usually has a glass or 2 or wine with dinner and that's not gonna change.

So what on earth am I to tell her?

I have suggested starting gently into xfit style bodyweight exercises on a 3 on 1 off routine for a start. Reducing the fruit, increasing the fat, removing the porridge, removing grains (she doesn't eat too much anyway) cutting out any sort of starchy carbs which she doesn't eat too much of either... I have mentioned IF too.

Any help would be great! I really want to show her how this gig works.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:
Re: Nutritional Advice for 64 year old woman trying to lose weight

The earliest thing I could grasp is when someone told me to cut out white flour and sugar.
Would that be a good starting point?

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Jaime Steele

Profile:

She really doesn't eat flour or sugar...
Old 05-29-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

I think what you have told her so far is a good start. Ive noticed even on the zone if I eat too many fruits for carbs instead of veggies I have trouble leaning out...assuming its the sugar in the fruit.
What does she drink?
Also, dont let her slack on protein, she is going to need that especially with the workouts. That goes for fat too. Just dont get too carried away too soon. Remember she is 64 and old habits die slow.
I guess most importantly make sure she understands that if she cheats a little hear-and-there its ok, just get back on it the next meal....notice I said next meal not day.
Good luck to you both.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Mat Frankel

Profile:

As said, IMO, the best thing to do is to start slow, get her to make better food choices then you can start thinking about zone and IF. The base needs to be built before any kind of structure can be added. I think that if you explain the benefits of eating paleo to her, she will be more likely to try it. You could start by trying one meal at a time, see if she can handle adding more protein, and getting rid of the poridge in the morning. Eggs and bacon kind of deal. If not, reduce the fruit add fat. Then more to her lunch, see if she can add some more protein. Explain the benefits, of doing so at each step. Also alot of people have the idea that they can eat poorly (not saying your mother does, it actually sounds alright from what youve said) and workout like crazy and achieve weight/fat loss. People have to be taught that 80% is diet, and food choices and quality count.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Frankel View Post
People have to be taught that 80% is diet, and food choices and quality count.
Jamie, the above line is key, and you've been around long enough to know that.

Forget Zone/Paleo/IF, don't even bring it up.

Get her to understand the basics of eating. Cut way back on processed food products, walk the supermarket with her, cook with her, maybe buy a great basic cookbook, but at 64, it's going to be a challenge.

As to fitness, brisk walking, stair climbing, some upper body work, call it a day.

If she can base her daily food intake around meat/fish, veggies/fruits, a few whole grains along with good fats, toss in some type of "work" you've done good.

You'll need to guess what her calorie intake should be, and try to stay at or slightly below for weight loss.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:

Yes-what Jay said. I could only grasp one simple thing when I got started. If you try the "avoid processed food" idea, that might be the one really helpful thing she could latch onto.
If someone had told me that long ago, it would have really helped me.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Steele View Post
Ok it's not me, it's my mum.

My nutrition has always been geared around paleo for athletes, IF and zone and it's pretty well dialed. I have never needed to lose weight, on the contrary I like to gear my diet around packing on muscle and being healthy and I really know what I'm doing in that respect.

My mum asked me tonight how she can lose a stone in weight and it sorta has me stumped.

I have been preaching at her for years on nutrition and she has always been averse to my eating - if you are paleo you'll know what I mean here - "why don't you eat your potatoes?" (we are Irish)... So when she said to me tonight - I'll give it a shot cos I really want to lose weight I really didn't know what to say cos her diet really isn't that bad and she does a fair bit of walking...

Her diet is heavy on fruit - breakfast is usually porridge, made with water and fruit or just fruit. She's old school low fat... Lunch is soup or salad and dinner is salad with cheese, or root veggies with chicken - stuff like that. Usually has a glass or 2 or wine with dinner and that's not gonna change.

So what on earth am I to tell her?

I have suggested starting gently into xfit style bodyweight exercises on a 3 on 1 off routine for a start. Reducing the fruit, increasing the fat, removing the porridge, removing grains (she doesn't eat too much anyway) cutting out any sort of starchy carbs which she doesn't eat too much of either... I have mentioned IF too.

Any help would be great! I really want to show her how this gig works.
Her diet is fine so if she wants to lose weight I suggest that she reduce her portion sizes a little and do more exercise more.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Well it doesn't sound like she eats processed food anyway... So yeah, her food choices are fine, she should just eat slightly less and move a little more.

Kind of a bummer to give advice to somebody like that- it's MUCH easier when somebody comes to you and says things like "I eat a muffin for breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch, and half a pepperoni pizza for dinner.. what should I do" etc.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile: