CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Lydia Dickinson

Profile:
Muscle swelling in arms

I'm a female and started crossfit training about a year ago. Recently, I did the 'Angie' workout (involving 100 pullups - assisted & 100 pushups etc). This resulted in severe swelling of my arms and I was in a great deal of pain. l was told to rest, compress and ice them which helped. However, since doing 'Angie', I'm finding that whenever I do any upper body work-out, my arms start to swell up again and become painful. I also seem to have lost overall strength in my arms & upper body - so instead of being able to lift heavier weights, I've had to drop the load to levels I first began training with. I would appreciate any advice on what I should be doing / not doing so that I can get back into ejoying my work-outs instead of dreading the outcome.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Lukas Boomgaert

Profile:
Re: Muscle swelling in arms

When it hurts, does it hurt even more when you extend your fingers passively by having someone else/your other hand open up the fingers further?

I'd seek out professional medical advice if you haven't already
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpo...0&postcount=17

Significant swelling means a lot of the the electrolytes from your muscles are leaking into the surrounding tissue which causes the edema.

You've probably destroyed quite a few muscle fibers for that to occur (sarcolemma significant disrupted which allows the leakage), and thus your strength is decreasing.

Take it VERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY easy. In fact, I'd suggest taking off a couple weeks for your arms if possible to let them heal. You can still work legs/core/flexibility/skill work/etc.

Now, if you were peeing some brown that would've indicated at least some myoglobin release, and probably some negative effect on your kidneys... but yeah, definitely not rhabdo if that's the case most likely, but still you overdid it with Angie.

Never do more volume than you're used to, especially if you ended up doing exercises with significant amounts of eccentric work at the end.... like jumping pullups, slow negative pushups, etc.

Last edited by Steven Low : 05-14-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Lydia Dickinson

Profile:

Steven, thanks for the explanation to my muscle swelling & loss of strength. It's frustrating that I need to scale down my work-outs because of it - particularly as I only recently started to train with olympic rings.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
Steve Rakow

Profile:

You may have had a mild case of rhabdo, but there's no permanent harm there. Let yourself heal and as Steven Low said, workout with other modalities until you heal completely.

There's no medal for best injury, so take it easy on the way back.