CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Shawn Michels

Profile:
Seeing Results, but not losing weight

So I have been Crossfitting on a fairly consistent basis for the last 2 months and have seen steady results. I am lifting more weight, I can do some WODs as RX'd and I can even complete the warm up with no assistance on the pull ups or dips (something I thought would take me months and months). Additionally I can definitely see changes in my upper body and legs. My pants are even feeling loser. However I have not lost any weight since I dropped my initial 10 lbs back in Jan / Feb.

Before everyone starts in: I have read about zone and I have heard about paleo and I realize that in order to get better results I should incorporate these into my diet. I am just not there yet. Getting to the gym and cleaning up my diet were my first priorities.

That said I have cleaned up my diet quite substantially, I was eating complete crap all the time and never worked out. Now I eat clean most of the time. I eat a lot of meat, veggies, nuts, and fruit. I do still eat more grains than I should but I do limit to whole grain. I also do eat some dairy. Lets be honest here I have my cheat days and fall off the wagon like everyone else. But in all seriousness I have cut about 80% of the cap out of my diet and my life style has done a complete 180 from where I was at.

Given my dietary changes and given the fact that I am killing myself on the Wod's I would have expected to see a little more weight loss .

My questions:

Is it possible that I am just adding muscle (my flabby tummy seems to suggest otherwise)?

Have I just plateaued? Meaning have I seen all the loss I will from my current diet changes / exercise changes and need to make a more drastic change to paelo / zone?

Am I expecting too much?

Should I just shut up and work harder?

Or is my point of view skewed? Maybe I shouldn't worry about how much I weigh.

When I started my only goal was really to get down to 230 and be in "shape" for summer... maybe I am just too anchored.

Anyway.... sorry for the rant
Old 04-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Seeing Results, but not losing weight

You're expecting too much. Diet harder. It's not supposed to be easy.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You've lost 10lbs while doing it 80% right by your own assessment, which judging solely from your statements, is probably more like 50% right.

Diet is the hard part, if it was easy everyone would be ripped. Anyone can do the wod everyday.

You: Should I just shut up and work harder?
Me: Yes, on your diet.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

If you can see changes, and your pants are losening up on you, I would worry about what the scale says.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you are getting stronger and faster it's working.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Eddie Watts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Michels View Post
Is it possible that I am just adding muscle (my flabby tummy seems to suggest otherwise)?

Have I just plateaued? Meaning have I seen all the loss I will from my current diet changes / exercise changes and need to make a more drastic change to paelo / zone?

Am I expecting too much?

Should I just shut up and work harder?
1 you will be adding muscle, your tummy will be last to muscle up as that may be where you store most of your fat
2 not likely but you get better results at the start and they will seem to tail off
3 yes likely. more importantly you are focusing on one metric, your weight, and not enough on others: completing wods with new prs, lifting more weight
4 crush that diet.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The mirror is a better indicator of fat loss than the scale, since weight is affected by many things including muscle growth, water retention, hormonal changes, and calibration issues. How you look in the mirror is how you really are.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Rus Mandery

Profile:

100% of what you look like depends on what goes into your mouth.
A really effective way to chart your progress is to keep track of your times/weights in a journal along with your diet. Plan your diet out for a couple of weeks in advance, buy everything you will need to stick to it, and then STICK TO THE PLAN! Also, weigh yourself only once a week at the same time under the same conditions every week. Immediately after you weigh yourself get out the cloth tape and take some measurements and write these down in your journal. Now correlate your diet with your weight, your times/weights and your measurements. Make adjustments where needed and you should be on the road to six pack abs my friend!
Just don't do like I did and gain back thirty of the sixty pounds you lose!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Jason David

Profile:

Do everything right. for a LONG time and the scale will follow..

I've been at it for over a year and a half. Some months didn't show up as weight loss at all, but in the end I've averaged 1 lb of fat loss per week...For about 80 weeks.

do what you know you are supposed to be doing and you will be fine.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Austin Bray

Profile:

I've been cf'ing for two years and while all 10 of my attributes have shown phenomenal improvement and my body has leaned up considerably I'm convinced that my gut is never going to go away. (29yo 6' 220lb).