CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Mike Darley

Profile:
What's does the kettlebell swing do?

My wife is the typical former globo gym rat. She was actually training to be a personal trainer. Of course, when I started Crossfit she was pretty skeptical. Now that I'm 2 1/2 months in and I've dropped 20 lbs she's decided to give it a try. Of course, every time there's an exercise that's unfamiliar to she wants to give me a hard time about it. We recently had a discussion about the benefit of the KB swing, and to be honest I wasn't really sure what to tell her. Can someone help me out? What muscle groups affected and what benefits do you get from the KB swing?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Zach Gates

Profile:
Re: What's does the kettlebell swing do?

Posterior chain. The idea of the swing is that you're trying to throw your hips forward to get the KB or DB as high as you can without using too much arm/shoulder in the deal.

However, you MUST use an appropriate weight. This isn't a curl or a shoulder press. You can't go easy and "feel" it. It's very much an explosive lift.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Tom Woodward

Profile:

yeah, it's an explosive hip opener. And you get the benefit of the negative as it comes down and you have to brace against the fall of the bell and change it's direction. midline, back, shoulders on the fall, p chain getting it back up.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Zach Gates

Profile:

Oh and it's also a grip killer. You get up to the 75-100 pound range and unless you've got a hell of a grip on ya that thing's gonna go flying.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Explosive opening of the Hips.

You will find that is a fairly common theme among CF's chosen exercises, as well as tasks we preform on a daily basis.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Craig Culver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Darley View Post
My wife is the typical former globo gym rat. She was actually training to be a personal trainer. Of course, when I started CrossFit she was pretty skeptical. Now that I'm 2 1/2 months in and I've dropped 20 lbs she's decided to give it a try. Of course, every time there's an exercise that's unfamiliar to she wants to give me a hard time about it. We recently had a discussion about the benefit of the KB swing, and to be honest I wasn't really sure what to tell her. Can someone help me out? What muscle groups affected and what benefits do you get from the KB swing?
It is an easy sell to get your wife to do some KB swings.

Women likes to work out with their lower body parts and while we as men likes to work-out with our upper body parts. KB swings mainly works on your body core esp. your lower body parts.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Nicole Ashman

Profile:

Next to the deadlift and GHS, KB's are my favorite thing to train. I see such amazing results with KB training.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Aaron Cawley

Profile:

you could alway get her the book from russia with tough love or enter the kettlebell both by pavel who is the leading authority on kettlebell training. i really like swings and turkish get ups and incorperate them in my strenght training workouts.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Craig Culver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cawley View Post
you could alway get her the book from russia with tough love or enter the kettlebell both by pavel who is the leading authority on kettlebell training. i really like swings and turkish get ups and incorperate them in my strenght training workouts.
Better give her From Russia With Tough Love book rather then Enter The Kettlebell book.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Here's an idea: Have her do max rep Russian kettlebell swings for 5 minutes and then ask HER which body parts the swings work.