CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-29-2004, 06:55 AM   #1
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
After seeing a lot of questions in the archives regarding a suitable substitute for rowing(and noticing that Saturday's WOD features the 500m row), I wanted to suggest sledgehammer training to those who don't have access to a rower.

I have used it quite often in the past and though I have not done much rowing, I would think it would be an excellent substitute as it really hits the upper body with an emphasis on the back, abs, and grip.By quickly alternating your stance after every swing(switching left foot forward/right foot back with right foot forward/left foot back)you can involve the legs a bit more and increase the intensity a bit.

2-3 minutes of fast-paced swinging never fails to get my heart rate speeding.Not sure how many people have access to a sledgehammer, but if you are looking for a cheap alternative to rowing, this may be an option to consider.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I did the 50 rep Sumo High Pulls today as a substitute for the 500, and I liked it. It's working most of your body, like rowing does.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:45 AM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

You can do a sled pull that isn't too different from rowing, pulling backwards. It might make a nice substitute because, like rowing, it has no eccentric component, and you can adjust the load to make the effort match.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
Parth Shah

Profile:
question, what do you do when there is rowing and SDHP's involved in the same workout? Sometimes I do double unders, but I know that isn't the same.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I am a bit confused by the exercises suggested above as substitutes for rowing, because it seems to me that the quadriceps do most of the work in rowing: The rowing stroke is a movement powered by leg extension and assisted by a pulling motion after the fact, in sort of the same way that an olympic jerk is a movement powered by hip extension and assisted with a pressing motion.
Not that sledgehammering, high pulls, and sled pulls aren't killer exercises and appropriate replacements for the row as a metabolic challenge, but if we want to select a replacement that duplicates the 'feel' of the rowing stroke, we ought to look for an exercise that constitutes a metabolic challenge taxes primarily the lower body (especially the quadriceps) with only a slight effect on the upper body's pulling muscles. Leg extension movements are hard to come by, but it seems to me that fast barbell front squats, perhaps with a power clean thrown in occasionally, would be a more appropriate substitute.

Opinions?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
That is a good observation Ross.When I look at substitute exercises I not only keep in mind the muscles being worked, but the "plane of movement or motion" if you will, that is involved.
I agree that the legs are heavily involved in the row, as are the pulling muscles of the mid-back and arms, and the resistance is pulled towards you in a horizontal direction(wish I could use more appropriate terms but I am kinesiologically challenged).
My logic in subbing the sledgehammer swinging is because this activity does involve the legs a great deal(after completing each overhead swing there is a significant bend in the lead leg and pushing off that lead leg to prepare for the next swing is necessary) as well as pulling the resistance(in this case, the sledgehammer) back towards you on a horizontal plane.
I always feel my legs and mid-back muscles heavily recruited during a vigorous session of sledgehammer work, but it could just be me.
Good point though.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:40 AM   #7
Sebastian

Profile:

How about a modified bent row? Perhaps just use the bar and bend at the waist as if you are about to do a bent row but bend the legs as well.

Thus, start squatting down with the bar on the floor and your back parallel to the floor. Then extend your legs keeping your back flat. Then pull your arms up to your chest. This seems like it could be a pretty decent substitution for rows.

What 'cha think?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:55 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Try to keep as close to the movement pattern as possible, however I think it is more important to maintain the time element. A good 500m row is > 1:50 so scale your effort in that neighborhood. I tend to like full body efforts like rowing, sledg work or heabvy bag combos (jab, cross, round kick is a great one) because of the heavy systemic demands. Be creative and see what you can come up with.
Robb
Robb
Old 06-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
Richard Miller

Profile:  
Is Kayaking an innapropriate substitute for rowing ?? It obviously doesn't use the legs as much as a rowing machine would... We have easier access to a body of water near a park than a rowing machine. ;)

BTW.. we just started yesterday, what an awesome place!

-Richard and Felicia
Old 06-08-2004, 04:23 AM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I know I'd rather do kayaking than rowing! I think you should take it on a case by case basis, if the WOD is row 5000m then hop in the kayak and off you go! But you might feel a little different about it when you've gone a little pale after 21 thrusters with 95lb. Also kayaking isn't as tireing as rowing, so bear that in mind.