CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Justin Green

Profile:
Oatmeal

What in the hell is "slow cooking" oatmeal. Just oatmeal that is not instant? Does anybody know if steel cut oatmeal fits into this category and if the block size is still 1/3 of a cup?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Oatmeal

Slow cooking, as opposed to instant oats. I guess they have different nutritional content. The steel cut oats I've got work out to 1/3 cup per carb block--to check yours, just look at the label and figure out how much you need to equal 9g of carbs, not counting fiber...i.e. if it says a serving has 18g of total carbs and 5g of fiber, then the net carb count is 13g.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Justin Green

Profile:

Thanks dude. Do you look at all labels like that. I thought about doing it like that but at the end of Mastering the Zone Barry Sears said not to, that those type of calculations have already been taken into consideration.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Zach Miller

Profile:

No, you definitely want to subtract the fiber. You may be thinking of the other macronutrients. Like if you were eating almonds, you wouldn't take their protein content into consideration.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

No, I usually don't pay too much attention to the labels unless it's to make sure whatever I'm buying has as little added sugar and preservatives as possible. Like with yogurt or peanut butter or canned fruits for instance--carb content can vary greatly if you're not careful to get unsweetened stuff. Of course, the best answer is that if you really want to be healthy, you shouldn't be eating anything with a label on it...obviously that isn't always feasible. But totally up all the stray grams of secondary or tertiary macronutrients in everything you eat is not a productive use of your time and isn't conducive to your mental health.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Mat Frankel

Profile:

From what I understand, the difference between Instant Oatmeal and Slow Cooking is that the instant stuff is the oats but rolled, flattened and sometimes cut so that they just cook quicker in oats. They also lose some of their nutritional value through that process. Regular old fashion are the oats just not cut or flattened and im not exactly sure what the Steel Cut are.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Steel cut oats are basically the whole oat groat cut into a couple of pieces. Rolled oats are the oat groat, rolled/flattened. Instant oats are the oat groat, cut into smaller pieces THEN rolled/flattened giving them a smaller, flakier size and hence speeding up the cooking time.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Kristie Willhoit

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Green View Post
What in the hell is "slow cooking" oatmeal. Just oatmeal that is not instant? Does anybody know if steel cut oatmeal fits into this category and if the block size is still 1/3 of a cup?
I exclusively buy steel-cut oats, and I just assumed the block portions to be the same...but after doing a quick Google search for "steel cut oats nutrition info" and reviewing the nutrition label for several different brands, I may have been wrong in my assumption (I buy mine in bulk = no nutrition label to read)! So I'd use Eric's suggestion and determine the block count based on the specific brand you buy (carbs - fiber / 9 = # blocks per serving).

And don't let the term "slow cooking" deter you if you're concerned about time...I use 1/3 cup dry + 2/3 cup water (= 2/3 cup cooked = 2 blocks - ?) and just pop it in the microwave for 60 seconds, stir, 30 seconds, done (you gotta watch for boil over!). But I like my oats chewy...

Or, if you're concerned about depleting nutrients by nuking, sometimes I plan ahead for the week and boil 2x as much water as oats I'll need for the week, pour the water over the oats in a airtight container, let it sit for 30 minutes with the lid vented, then store it in the fridge for the week, no nuking necessary (if you like cold oats ).
Old 04-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
Sean Harrison

Profile:

There's a brand I buy called Coach's Oats that are in between slow and instant, appqarently it's patented. I just put some in a tupperware container with hot water and close the lid for 5 minutes and it's done.
Here's the website: www.coachsoats.com
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #10
Tony Sutton

Profile:

I make breakfast every morning and I just soak the oats in their prescribed water over night, turn on the burner when i put my bacon in the pan and they are done before i can turn my bacon.