CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Daniel Krull

Profile:
how to get faster at wall-ball?

There's this one guy where I do CrossFit at and he always smokes everybody at wall-ball. Is there a technique to do wall-ball faster? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Re: how to get faster at wall-ball?

Apply backspin so when the ball hits the wall it's propelled back to you.

Just kidding. I have no idea. Just work on squatting faster I guess.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Not really - some people just rock at certain exercises. Individual strengths and weaknesses vary. Just concentrate on the hip drive. EVERYTHING is better with hip drive!

Ex - I'm pretty good at PUs and MUs, myself - but get my **** rocked by thrusters.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Scott Brodersen

Profile:

if you could somehow increase gravity, the ball will drop faster. Maybe find a bigger planet to live on....
Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Renee Lee

Profile:

this is an obvious one, and i'm sorry if it's already occurred to you. Byers was talking about this revelation on her blog last month. from her 2/14 post:

Quote:
(I finally figured out if I caught the ball in a “throwing” position, I could catch and squat at the same time. DUH.)
that's all i got for you. squat faster
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Yeah, snap those hips. And snap those arms, but try to keep concentrating on hip drive as the real source of momentum for the toss. And when I'm in a good rhythm, I am already starting down into the squat as I catch the ball, and my arms are at full extension ready to pull the ball down to my chest as I'm on the way down to the bottom of the squat. I do think there's a lot of speed to be gained with just timing, but it may be something you just need to mess around with.

Other than that, you might want to start doing some sets with a heavier ball, if you have one. Working with a 25-pounder could very likely speed up your 20-pound reps.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Daniel Krull

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
Working with a 25-pounder could very likely speed up your 20-pound reps.
good idea.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Working with a 25-pounder could very likely speed up your 20-pound reps.
I would think this would depend on what is slowing you down. If it's just a matter of getting your body to work faster, then I would think dropping in weight may actually be the better approach. The lighter ball would help you develop a more explosive, faster cycle time that could then be applied to the heavier weight. If your cycle time is fine, but you are just gassing out, then maybe working with the heavier ball could be the answer.

Quote:
(I finally figured out if I caught the ball in a “throwing” position, I could catch and squat at the same time. DUH.)
How else are people catching the ball? I was taught that you caught the ball in your hands, elbows down, at face level, as you are coming down into the squat.

Last edited by Kevin Thomas : 03-15-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
If it's just a matter of getting your body to work faster, then I would think dropping in weight may actually be the better approach. The lighter ball would help you develop a more explosive, faster cycle time that could then be applied to the heavier weight. If your cycle time is fine, but you are just gassing out, then maybe working with the heavier ball could be the answer.
I think that's a good point. A heavier ball will certainly immediately slow you down (i.e. keep you from increasing your pace), so at least use it in conjunction with form and rhythm work with a 20-pounder or lighter.

Which brings up one more technique tip which just occurred to me today as I was doing "Kelly," which includes 5 rounds of 30 Wallball reps. One tip for speeding up air squats (as in Tabatas, Barbara, etc.) is to actively pull yourself down into the bottom of the squat, instead of just letting gravity take you down. If you practice that on air squats you'll see an immediate increase in your pace. The same thing definitely works with Wallball. You can increase your pace by using your hip flexors to pull you down quickly. The problem, of course, is that it's just that much sooner you have to come back up and toss the damn ball, so you'd better be fit enough to handle the higher pace.

So, if you think you are as fit as the fast guy at your gym, that might be one way to pick up your cycle count and take a run at him.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
How else are people catching the ball? I was taught that you caught the ball in your hands, elbows down, at face level, as you are coming down into the squat.
I catch it with arms extended and lower the ball to my face as I squat...