CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Gavin Steel

Profile:
DIY compact GHD

Hey, just wanted to share some pics of my newly bodged homemade GHD. I know that a lot of folk on the boards are always on the lookout for ideas when it comes to improvised garage equipment.

Thought this idea could be used by anyone who, like me has very little room in their garage.

This was built in a couple of days using a length of scaffold bar and the rest was donated by an old treadmill and part of my sons old garden swing.....I love chopping things up!!

I made the bracket on the wall out of 6mm thick flat bar. Its screwed in on 3 sides so it cant be pulled out the brick work.

The vertical leg simply slots into the housing I made from more flat bar, that's welded to the bottom of the scaffold bar. This is then held vertical by the angled cross brace which bolts onto lugs welded onto the bar.

The foot supports are simply 10mm nuts welded over a 10mm hole in the bar with M10 threaded rod inserted. I then welded a 10mm nut onto each leg bar, this then screws on. Have 3 different lengths they can be set on so the wife has no excuse for not using it.....

The seat is temporary and was just to trial it...had to make sure it wasn't going to collapse on me....Going to make a split pad from high density foam which I'll either wrap in very cheap leather or PVC.

The whole thing disassembles by undoing 1 small bolt, remove footpads (optional) and folds up against the wall when not in use. Its still to get a lick of paint also, thought the assembly would show up better pre-paint.

Hope this was of some use to someone.......

P.S. The gazelle thing that you can just see peeking into the last pic is the wifes...honest...(mentioning it before someone else does..)

I asked if I could chop it up and make something uselful from it but she refused...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2493.JPG
Views:	735
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	3584  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2485.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	3585  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2489.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	3586  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2490.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	3587  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2496.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	3588  

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: DIY compact GHD

Thats pretty sweet. One thing I am confused about is... does your "foot bar" actually just hold your knees back? You should take a pic of someone using it.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Victor Putz

Profile:

Nice work! I'm a bit envious, having nothing resembling a GHD.

Two comments tho:

1) Despite the padding, that seat looks... intense, shall we say. Focused. Bad for the lads, if you will. I'd consider supplementing it in some way.

2) If I remember right, this is more like a roman chair than a GHD just because a proper GHD would have plates you could push against with your feet (where did I read this, CFJ or something?). Or is that for your knees and you're pushing against the wall and nothing holding your ankles down?

Still, I can pick all I want--that's one more bad-for-the-lads, no-kick-plate homemade GHD than *I'VE* got! Nice work!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Lawrence - The bars that are covered in foam, they're for hooking my feet with. Nothing holding knees. Feet under bars and butt on seat...thats it...

Victor - I thought about the footplate thing however it over complicates a home build as Id have to get a bigger dia bar to slip over the scaffold tube and weld footplates to it, so it was adjustable. Or I could weld footplates straight onto the bar but they wouldn't be any use to anyone bar me (unless they had same leg length).....So I opted to leave them...I may have a bash at this at a later date though.

My contraption will only be used for sit ups at the moment due to the lack of a split seat pad....which should be in the near future, work and family commitments allowing.