CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Luke Hitt

Profile:
Chocolate Milk vs. Regular Milk

So my wife and I decided to give up sugar for lent; my idea since it will greatly impact my CF. She is giving me a hard time about drinking organic chocolate milk PWO, and wants to know why Chocolate milk is better than regular milk. I have seen a lot of posts that say that chocolate milk is good PWO, but what is the reason?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: Chocolate Milk vs. Regular Milk

In studies it was shown to promote greater recovery post workout.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THe sugar spikes insulin levels which puts your body into an anabolic state and gets nutrients to the muscles to restore gylcogen stores.

Define "sugar". else you can drink any milk, or dairy products, fruits, store bought bacon, etc.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Jacob Kulyn

Profile:

Cause its delicious and does its job, 4-1 carb to protein ratio. Enough said.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

*most* chocolate milk is full of a lot of simple sugars (organic or not - organic is probably based on cane sugar and normal would be HFCS) and is based on 2% milk. There are people that believe the fat in whole milk blunts the insulin response enough to render it less effective as a PWO nutrition option than lighter (skim-2%) milk options. The studies typically use 2% or less milk from what I've seen. Most CF'ers, however, are firm believers in the whole milk.

I'd say that if you gave up "sugar" for lent for deep reasons (devout, etc - trying not to get religious here but you know what I mean) than chocolate milk is probably off limits, but milk w/o added sugar would be OK. I'd think fruit would be OK, but OJ w/ added sugar, not so much. But it's your life, interpret the rules how you feel fit.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
In studies it was shown to promote greater recovery post workout.
I've seen only one of those studies and I read it, it was BS. It was sponsored by some dairy company/organization and found it worked about the same as gatorade. If it had been sponsored by gatorade it would have been touting gatorade as a PWO drink, both of which worked little better than water. And by 'worked' all it did was test the athletes ability to ride a bike a few hours after their initial workout. Your body handles any food better after a workout, so you can use that as an excuse to eat bad food such as chocolate milk, but don't delude yourself into thinking that your recent exercise somehow turned bad food into good food.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

he asked the reason why people say it's better. I simply pointed out why, didn't endorse it.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
James Weise

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
I've seen only one of those studies and I read it, it was BS. It was sponsored by some dairy company/organization and found it worked about the same as gatorade. If it had been sponsored by gatorade it would have been touting gatorade as a PWO drink, both of which worked little better than water. And by 'worked' all it did was test the athletes ability to ride a bike a few hours after their initial workout. Your body handles any food better after a workout, so you can use that as an excuse to eat bad food such as chocolate milk, but don't delude yourself into thinking that your recent exercise somehow turned bad food into good food.
Alan Aragon did a comparison of Chocolate Milk vs Biotest Surge that was pretty interesting.

Just Google "An Objective Comparison of Chocolate Milk and Surge Recovery" for it.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

As I understand it, chocolate milk isn't substantially better than regular milk PWO - just switch to regular for a month, it'll still do the job. Or, if you feel you NEED more sugar, have some juice or a sweet potato and a little salmon or sugar-free jerky.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Weise View Post
Alan Aragon did a comparison of Chocolate Milk vs Biotest Surge that was pretty interesting.

Just Google "An Objective Comparison of Chocolate Milk and Surge Recovery" for it.
Thanks James, that was an interesting read.