CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Stuart Brauer

Profile:
Adding Fat Blocks to Replace Carb Blocks

I've got the ratios right, 1 C = 3 F. However, should this method only be implemented when one is happy with leanness? Or is this method used to give a low-carb CrossFitter the extra cals/energy needed to complete WODs?

So for example, at 17 blocks,at the end of the day on low carb you are
17 P/ 8 C/ 31 F, is that still ideal for leaning out?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Adding Fat Blocks to Replace Carb Blocks

YOu should purchase Robb wolf's article "42 ways to skin the zone" I believe it is available on performancemenu.com for only a couple dollars
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

got it..read it plenty of times.

It still does not specify whether replacing 1 C with 3 F is still ideal in leaning out.

An individual is paleo/zoning and has not increased their F intake because they still are trying to lean out, so they start going low carb (to increase the leaning process)

Should their F blocks stay the same, just the C blocks are less???? I feel like if you do not use that 1 C for 3 F, it would be really hard not to lose performance due to running on such little fuel

Not really looking for a solid answer, cause everyone's nutrition requirements and what drives their performance is always going to have to be black boxed by that individual, just trying to generate some discussion
Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

People sub fat blocks for carb blocks if:
1. They can't tolerate the amount of carbs the zone prescribes.
2. They lean out better with less carbs
3. Have a hard time meeting the carb requirement with only vegetables (don't want to eat fruit for carbs)

There are probably more, but those are the main three ones I thought of as of now. For me, it was #1 when I zoned (1 week lol). I'm a low carb paleo guy now, I eat fruit only for breakfast (not all the time) and PWO and any other meal is vegetables or no carbs at all. As long as I eat enough carbs PWO, I am good to go (usually in the form of one apple or banana).

#3 is common for people who don't eat fruit for carbs (due to sugar) when leaning out and rely solely on vegetables for their carb source. You don't drop just carb blocks and not change fat, you are already eating few enough calories as it is.

You can use this method whenever you want, but I recommend to do the zone strictly first, then tinker with the carb and fat blocks until you find the best combo. That is how I figured out I performed better on a low carb eating plan.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Brauer View Post
got it..read it plenty of times.

It still does not specify whether replacing 1 C with 3 F is still ideal in leaning out.

An individual is paleo/zoning and has not increased their F intake because they still are trying to lean out, so they start going low carb (to increase the leaning process)

Should their F blocks stay the same, just the C blocks are less???? I feel like if you do not use that 1 C for 3 F, it would be really hard not to lose performance due to running on such little fuel

Not really looking for a solid answer, cause everyone's nutrition requirements and what drives their performance is always going to have to be black boxed by that individual, just trying to generate some discussion
So is replacing 3F for 1C a good way to lean out quicker or not?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

yes, subbing in fat blocks (3 for 1 carb blocks) will keep your total calories the same

1.5g fat x3 = 40.5 calories
9g carbs = 36 calories

therefore, the substitution does not change caloric intake really, merely macronutrient breakdown. If you are currently losing weight fine on 17 blocks and you switch around the carb/fats it should make no difference.

Yes it is often hard for people to eat as many carbs as the zone prescribes especially when avoiding practically every carb in existence. So for those intent on eating 'veggies only' the fat/carb switch would probably make life easier.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

OP, you're right, I reviewed 42 Ways and this is not specifically addressed. The 3:1 ratio is suggested, as Laura said, to make it easier to eat (replace) all those C's if you are stuffing galloons of spinach and broccoli down your mouth on the zone. As I read the article, and again per Laura, this should not affect your leaning out. Caveat: You may lean out better with more fats/less carbs (esp. if your carbs are non-paleo) but I believe this is going to vary from person to person.

Your questions directly relate to another zone concept, that is increasing the fat. Once you are at your required leanness, you may want to increase the fat by 2x, and 3x etc. if necessary, for WOD/CF performance reasons. This would be in addition to your basic zone requirements, not a swap of C to F.

This is all regurgitation from Robb's site. I would read it all, if you have not already.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Nick Repertorio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
So is replacing 3F for 1C a good way to lean out quicker or not?
Best way to find out is to try it, if it works then keep doing it, if not then stop doing it...which is the similar answer to most of zone tweak questions.