CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
Scott Dyck

Profile:
Prevention article on "resistant starches"

Hi Everybody

I had an individual ask me for some nutritional advice the other day, and she gave me a rundown of her current intake, which includes a LOT of popcorn. I told her that cutting out the popcorn would be a good idea, with its low nutritional value and high glycemic index.
She shot this article back at me, telling me that corn/rice/potatoes actually don't digest in your system quickly enough to be stored as fat. I know this is silly BS, and I'd love to hear from some of you folks who are far more informed than I am, and what you would say in response.
Here's the article (wfs): http://www.prevention.com/cda/articl....2008.issue/0/

Thanks!

Last edited by Scott Dyck : 02-19-2009 at 04:21 AM. Reason: early morning grammar
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Jeff Wilson

Profile:
Re: Prevention article on "resistant starches"

I by no means know anything on the subject. But I have to be picky with an article that touts 180 or more studies. There are no sources cited, only arbitrary figures. That and a flaw in the logic, it's all well and good that the particular fatty acid those starches produce inhibit carbohydrates as an energy source, but it doesn't negate them. Wouldn't they then be stored as fat?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Here's Dr. Eades' alternative view of resistant starch (WFS):

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/m...istant-starch/

While many societies base their diets around these types of foods and remain healthy doing so, the last thing obese westerner's need is advice to seek out another heavily processed, "healthy" food additive to add to their diets:

Quote:
Look for fortified foods A growing number of commercial foods have been bolstered with Hi-maize, the brand name of a resistant starch powder made from corn. You can use it in baking (and lower calories) by replacing up to one-quarter of traditional flour in any recipe without affecting taste or texture (King Arthur Hi-maize Natural Fiber, $5.95 per 12-ounce bag; kingarthurflour.com). Or, look for packaged products that include Hi-maize, as another easy way to boost your intake.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Victor Putz

Profile:

I think as far as snack-type foods go, if you make popcorn yourself (say, popped in a wok over a gas burner with some olive oil, like I do) you could do a lot worse: healthy fats (with caveat of heat applied), lots of fiber, a fair amount of volume for the possible "bad carbs" you're taking in.

Sure, it's not a bowl of broccoli in terms of nutrition, but it beats the heck out of pretty much anything you'd buy in a crackly plastic bag at the convenience store. If my wife and I sit down for a movie, I'll make some popcorn and not feel guilty in the least.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

"resistant starches" is marketing BS. So now we need to give labels to whole foods....because they don't make us fat? No wonder people are confused and giving up.....because the media loves to complicate things...and probably sell a new diet book based on it. I could care less if someone wants to eat some popcorn, have some...enjoy it....calories matter in weight loss, and don't expect to be ripped and lean on pop tarts and slurpees (unless you are already very active and have superb insulin sensitivity....which is not the case in mainstream society). This kind of advice works only because it helps people switch from crappy foods to better ones, no magic there.....give up a muffin for a bowl of popcorn (less calories)....or a pizza for a potato (less calories). I'm surprised they didn't use the other super BS line of "Speeds up your metabolism".

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 02-21-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Scott,

Just saw your post and just read the article.

First of all, popcorn is not a butyrate containing food. So, that sucks for her.

The resistant starches, according to the article, are formed when these foods are cooked and then cooled. So, cooked and then cooled potatoes, beans, corn, and hummus. It looks like its impossible to tell how much butyrate is formed as the studies were done on isolated butyrate and not on randomly cooled samples of potatos.

And, the foods must still be consumed in moderation and in a cooled state. Any heating will destroy the butyrate crystals. Which makes me wonder, will consuming them and therefore warming them to body temperature destroy some of them as well?

This article did not conclude that she can eat corn, rice, and potatos in huge portions and lose weight. It concluded that by preparing them a certain way (cooking and cooling them), they may become lower glycemic and have more health benefits.

Sara