CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Ryan DeBell

Profile:
hip pain from squats (crease of hip)

So a few weeks ago there was a WOD with a lot of thrusters and GHDs...I think that was when this started.

Ever since then, I have had pain in the crease of my hip when i lower myself into a squat..the pain occurs once i start lowering down (see the picture to see where exactly the pain is).

Let it be said, too, that sometimes when I do squat cleans (which we have done a lot of lately), my landing position can get pretty wide...I am sure that isn't good for the hips.

I also feel some pain in that area when doing the samson stretch.

The pain also seems to go away after i warm up. I can get warm, do the wod, and then later once i am cooled down and try to squat, the pain is definitely there.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hip.jpg
Views:	3130
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	3500  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: hip pain from squats (crease of hip)

Try foam rolling and massage your IT band.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Rectus femoris or TFL. If its the rectus femoris then you will probably find a sore spot a couple inches down that you can easily hit by sitting on something and digging in with your elbow/forearm. The TFL is more of a pain to reach. Its possible to hit it in the same position, but its easier to use a tennis ball and a wall.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Ryan DeBell

Profile:

ok sounds good. I will hit IT band, rectus femoris, and TFL. I will take a few days off to try to let things heal up and ice a lot too. Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Ryan DeBell

Profile:

I think the psoas might be the culprit. Just felt it and its super tight. Rectus femoris has some active trigger points too. The elbow thing you told me to do while sitting is very effective.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Mike Mallory

Profile:

could be a number of things including those mentioned above,

hip pain can refer there, as can SI joint
Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Bryan Gates

Profile:

That makes sense since GHDs tend to smoke the hip flexors. Here is a way to get at the psoas for massage.

Say you want to release the right psoa. Lay on your back, but pull your right leg up so that the knee is raised and your foot is on the ground. Let your knee drop to the inside across your body and allow it to tilt your torso to the left. This lets all the guts slide out of the way so you can really dig in there without fear of jacking anything up.

Place the back of your fingers together with palms facing like you are making an M with your hands. Feel around for the sore spot in the thick rounded mass of the psoa about 2 inches to the right of the belly button to the pelvis. If you feel a heavy pulse, move a bit more to the right. The psoa and the iliacus cover pretty much the entire interior of the iliac crest/ilium so feel free to roam around.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Ryan DeBell

Profile:

So after massaging the TFL, rectus femoris, psoas, IT band, and vastus lateralis and icing a lot and resting, there was not too much improvement.

After some exploration with my trigger point book and a baseball, I found that the trigger point that (i think) is causing the pain in the front of the hip is the quadratus lumborum. I have really painful active trigger points in that muscle on both sides. So weird/cool how a muscle in the lower back can cause pain in the front of the hip.

As soon as I started to roll that muscle out on a baseball, the hip started to feel loose. I think a day or two more of working that trigger point will spell relief! I will keep this thread updated with my results for those with similar pain.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Hmm I have never ran into that, but whatever works right? Good to here you are better now.

I guess it makes sense since a tight QL would pull on the discs that the psoa is attached to and thus tighten the psoa as well. However the pain would be a bit more towards the inside if that were the case.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Ryan DeBell

Profile:

Now that you mention it, I think i drew the circle in my picture too far out on the hip. The pain is more on the right edge of the circle I drew or maybe even a little further in.

I am seeing progress with working on the QL, but there is still a lingering pulling sensation (I feel it especially after I have been sitting for awhile). I am not sure if this muscle is being stubborn and just needs a few more days to finally release or if there are other players involved.

With the clarification of where I feel the pain, can you think of any other muscles that could be part of the problem?