CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Jordan Simmons

Profile:
Will military pay for Level 1 Cert?

I am currently in the USAF and my commander had heard that I had been doing CrossFit for some time and asked me about the program. Long story short, he was sold and I am now in charge of running the "Fat Boy" program for our squadron (Fat Boy=not able to pass PT test) He has giving me the freedom to do whatever I want with them and I am looking forward to it! I have been soaking up so much info from my coaches at my affiliate, to the info on the main site that I'm about ready to burst if I don't start teaching people. So what better place to start than with a bunch of outta shape military members who have no clue about fitness! Can you tell I'm excited? I'll get to my question, for all you military members out there(preferably USAF)is it possible to get the USAF to pay for my level 1 certification ? If anyone has any experience with this situation I would love to hear about how you went about getting it done. My commander seems to think it would be ok, seeing as I would be using it to the Air Force's benefit. 'Cause the way they run PT now just isn't working and CrossFit would help tremendously. If anyone has any info or knows how I could go about getting this done please let me know.Thanks for your time...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Re: Will military pay for Level 1 Cert?

Jordan,

I'm at DM as well. If you find a way, let me know because I want in on that too. I'm deployed right now but should be back in June timeframe. I would say try giving the HAWC a call? You're squadrons resource advisor may also be able to swing some magic if your commander signs the approval paperwork for an IMPAC purchase. Perhaps even official TDY orders through DTS?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Joseph Dennis

Profile:

My unit was just down there a couple weeks ago. 178 FW out of Ohio. There was a guy in my office who is wanting to get in the program and I wish I would have posted up and sent him your way. I'm sure there would have been more along with him, I'm trying to get him away from the 1 body part a day workout, Monday = Chest, Tuesday = Shoulders or Back other on Wed, Thursday = Arms, Friday = Legs.

I'm just trying to get my unit to get some CF equipment here let alone pay for a trip somewhere. Good luck and let us know.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

There were active duty AF folks at my L1 on cost orders. It would seem if you can get the people who hold the TAD purse strings to let it go, the gov't will finance it. God knows I've been on far bigger boondoggles when I was active than a weekend seminar. Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Hi Guys,

There are a few ways to go about this:
-Contact seminars@CrossFit.com to set up your own Cert. This will provide you the most bang for their buck.

-The commander can fund the certification on behalf of the combat fitness program. The applicant can submit a formal request up the chain of command requesting the certification. I would provide dates, location, cost, and benefit of the cert.

-The individual can pay for their cert individually. (There's a mil discount) It's not optimum, but we all know the value of the certification you will be receiving.

Try those methods first. I would leave out whoever runs the base gyms at all costs. As we've seen with other mil organizations, they'll do nothing but hinder the process.

Good luck!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Matthew Eucalitto

Profile:

Yes, your commander can authorize training funds for the cert. If i wasn't getting out I would try to do the same.

All squadrons/groups/wings have a certain amount of funding they can use to send someone to training...his discretion.

Just make sure you get all the paperwork to him so he can show its legit.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Andrew Durham

Profile:

I wish I had the same opportunity when I was Active Duty. One of my commanders at the time was a fitness buff and for sure would have been all about it. I hope you guys get a free ride. CF is definitely one thing I would like to see my tax dollars go to.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

That's how I am attending the Cert in March. =)

I just put in a TAD request and upon approval I purchased the cert and submitted the receipt with my TAD package. Refund will only take 3-5 business days.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Jordan Simmons

Profile:

Thanks for all the input guys. I will definitely look into all the things you guys suggested. I am positive my commander would sign for me, so hopefully I will be attending a Cert soon. I'll get back to everyone with the results. Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Jason Theriault

Profile:

YES they will, I know of two EOD guys, a couple Gym staff that have been certified here, another EOD guy and others are going soon. The UNIT has funded most of these (from what I heard).

All wee need now for the the whole BIG BLUE to come on board and say YES CROSSFIT is Awesome, let start retrofitting out Fitness Centers so people at least have the oppurtunity just like Spinning, Aerobics, Hapkido, or anything else..

Still looking for CFiters at Hurlburt !! See the threads in ISO Crossfiters