CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #1
Edgar Gomez

Profile:
Question Paleo questions and pre/post workout foods.

I started paleo a few weeks ago, and part of me is saying that I should eat some wholemeal khobs bread, even though its not recommended as part of the paleo diet....which also brings me to milk, I also started SS by Rip roughly at the same time, and part of doing the SS is to drink 4 litres of milk, which again milk is not recommended as paleo....so at the moment Im very confused.

I am also studying to be a "personal trainer" and today we "learnt" that the best way to revive muscles and help them recover faster is by eating foods high in GI which helps them recover faster immediately after a workout, they said the best way to do this is through carbs, pasta, rice etch...whats the general conscientious when it comes to this as a "crossfitter"?

Also, whats a good paleo foods to eat before and after a workout?

ALSO, my reasearch also states that the paleo diet is similar to the atkins diet, high in protein low in carbs. I dont want to loose weight, I just want to get stronger and help my body recover faster...maybee Im thinking that paleo may not be the way to go after all?

Some "enlightenment" will be very appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Re: Paleo questions and pre/post workout foods.

I'll answer as best I can:

1. Paleo is very much the way to go for health, and for recovery. In my opinion and many others. It's not necessarily high protein, and you can eat a lot of carbs if you wish to - but they're all natural, healthy carbs, nothing processed, which basically means you can eat a ton of them and not get tired/bloated/fat/slow/diabetic etc.

2. It's not the Atkins Diet. For one you need to eat a load more fat than Atkins, and for two there's a definite emphasis on quality of food which is absent from Atkins (to this degree).

3. Bananas are great for post-workout. Natural food with a high GI, straight into your muscles. Beats rice or pasta which is just processed gumpf that your body doesn't need, that won't help you recover as fast or as completely. There's a difference between 'food' and 'stuff that you can eat' (thanks to Melissa Byers for that).

4. SS is a tricky one. In my opinion paleo plus milk would be fine for it as long as you're eating a truckload of the paleo foods - the main reason behind the milk is that it gets you a ton of extra calories which are nutritionally helpful, and you get them very easily. And you need several truckloads of calories on SS.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

Another piece of advice...where are you "learning to be a personal trainer at". See if you can get your money back!

You could get waaayyy more out of a Level 1 cert and the CF Journal or Performance Menu than you will ACE, ISSA or some other bull**** cert
Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think you are confusing some different diets/programs here.

RIP and SS are not paleo. So, that RIP recommending GOMAD is not really confusing, it's just a different program. You can try substituting some meat for all the GOMAD if you wish, that's up to you.

Robb Wolf, the resident nutrition guru here at CF (see his blog), recommends a high GI food like sweet potato immediately PWO. So, that is a generally accepted method you could say.

Paleo is not atkins; Paleo is simply eating foods that humans ate during the paleo era. Simple.

What are good paloe foods to eat before and pwo? Doesn't that mean anytime? lol You should be able to figure that out with easy enough; search.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Haraldur Gísli Sigfússon

Profile:

You say you want to get stronger and be able to recover more quickly. I definitely think that you can manage that on Paleo. But I'll tell you that from experience, I lost pretty much weight when I went from Paleo+milk to straight Paleo. Milk helped me a lot to ''bulk'' (getting stronger) so you might want to consider that.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
You can try substituting some meat for all the GOMAD if you wish, that's up to you.
you can't sub meat for the GOMAD - then it's just... eating extra meat. Not GOMAD

Paleo is not low carb, unless you want it to be. Fruit, and root vegetables can add plenty of carbs to your diet.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I know that Laura! lol
But he sounded like he wanted Paleo SS; what else am gonna tell him!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

hehe I know, just messing with ya brian
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Edgar Gomez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Brauer View Post
Another piece of advice...where are you "learning to be a personal trainer at". See if you can get your money back!

You could get waaayyy more out of a Level 1 cert and the CF Journal or Performance Menu than you will ACE, ISSA or some other bull**** cert
Yeah, I see where youre comming from...but dont get me wrong, "mainstream" fitness also has benefits, its what most people are mainstream...Im thinking to get my feet wet in the industry I have to have some mainstream knowledge...eventually I will get some certifciation in crossfit, I understand crossfit philosophy is more hardcore and maybee daunting for some people to comprehend, but If I start on the other side, It will be alot easier to do some "persuasion" for mainstream attitudes to change.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Though it is slightly off topic, if you are going to work for a globo gym or start training on the side, ect. Insurance will look for a "credible" certification so thats where ACE, ACSM, etc. play their roles.