CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Taylor H Rogers

Profile:
paleo question: dried fruits and nuts

so i started eating paleo today and i'm pretty excited about it. i've been fooling around with the idea for a few weeks now, and i've decided to just go for it and follow it strictly for the time being. just went shopping and bought a load of clean food. i'm poor and abroad, so i doubt i will be ordering any actual books, but the information online seems straight-foward and logical and easy to follow. i'm hope to see improvements not just fitness-wise but also in terms of mood and focus (any success stories in this department? i quit taking adderall because it's a crazy drug and i'd like to see some improvement in my concentration).

my question is: how much dried fruits and nuts is too much? cutting out pasta, bread, beans, refined sugar and dairy sucks, but i'm fine doing it. but if i'm still hungry (and i'm always hungry) after eating meat and vegetables for my meals is it okay to eat a bunch of nuts and dried fruit until i'm satiated? eating massive handfuls of raisins and almonds is a very appealing way to compensate for the big hole where pasta and sugar and cheese used to be. but is this just false hope? nuts and dried fruit seem dense and rich and like they have a lot of fat and sugar in them. should i limit my intake of these things? or can i eat as much as i care to (within reason, obviously)? looking forward to replies.

p.s. i still eat regular fruit, it's just that the dried fruit seems like such a good substitute for sweets, that's why i ask.

p.p.s. sorry if this has been covered here. i searched and didn't find anything.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: paleo question: dried fruits and nuts

Dried fruit in general, raisins especially, have a very high glycemic index and load. They are high in sugar. To optimize your Paleo, you should avoid the dried fruits as much as possible and substitute fresh fruits. The best time to eat dried fruit would be post-workout, within 30 minutes or so.

Nuts are low in sugar, but also calorically dense. I have a hard time limiting them myself, but be aware that 1/4 cup (a handful) is something like 200 calories depending on the type. Also, many nuts have a high Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio (walnuts and macadamias excepted). They're fine as a snack, but try not to overdo them. Definitely don't use them to "fill up" after a meal.

Finally, the combination of fat and sugar/carbs (nuts and dried fruit) is particularly "non-paleo" as reported by Loren Cordain in one of his recent Paleo-Diet updates, and likely to lead to fat storage.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Jack Stetson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post

Dried fruit in general, raisins especially, have a very high glycemic index and load. They are high in sugar.

I like the convenience of dried fruit, but it is very hard to find good dried fruit that doesn't have sugar added. The dry stuff just has too high a glycemic load. I stick with fresh and frozen.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Oliver Bradley

Profile:

Trader Joe's has cheap dried fruit without sulfur or sugar added to most of them. Not sure if you have Trader Joe's though.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stetson View Post
I like the convenience of dried fruit, but it is very hard to find good dried fruit that doesn't have sugar added. The dry stuff just has too high a glycemic load. I stick with fresh and frozen.
Many do have added sugar, but there is also a high concentration of natural sugar in dried fruit.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Harley Jennings

Profile:

IMO it really depends on your goals and what your body accepts. If you lined up all of us here I think very few of our diets would look the exactly the same. Most of us use the same principals, but then tweak them to make our body happy.

If you can get the so sugar added stuff and don't by off on the glycemic load problem, then I say you are fine, again if it works for you.

I do believe in the glycemic load concept and that is why I stay away from dried fruits and most fruits.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Laura Kurth

Profile:

If you can control yourself, Dried fruit & nuts can be a great way to get extra calories in. I love trader joes stuff - dried pears/mango/granny smith apples that have no preservatives, or sugar.

However I cannot seem to control myself and therefore am on a dried fruit ban right now.

I eat nuts, but try to be conscious of the portion, as I could put away a cup of nuts if I wasn't paying attention. so, I would say - yes enjoy the fruit and nuts but keep an eye on the portions.

You also don't mention your goals, if you are trying to drop weight I advise no dried fruit and limited nuts.

A good way to feel more 'full' but without a lot of calories, is home made soup.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Alex Coots

Profile:

Any other ideas for filling up aside from soup? I live on a college campus and I find myself resorting to peanut butter after to lunch to "fill up".

I feel like it's a bad thing to go through 35 servings of peanut butter a week when I'm not particularly looking to put on weight.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Vegetables. have a huge salad, a big bowl of veggies etc. Eat more meat with your meal and you might be more full...?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Nuts are great to eat, but you can't eat unlimited quantities because they do pack a lot of calories. The zone block measurements are a good guidline. For instance, 3 almonds equals 1 block of fat, so if you're on 20 blocks a day, you can have 60 almonds a day if that is the only fat you eat.