CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Josh Goldbogen

Profile:
Rucksack running? How will it benefit my overall fitness? How fast, heavy, and long?

I am working towards improving my overall fitness and just kind of like the workout I get running around the woods with a heavy pack on my back. What will ruck-running do for me? How heavy, fast, and long should I consider as good goal to work to.

Here is a link to one of my Rucksack runs with gps, speed, and heart rate data.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1958807YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Do people that do this kind of activity a lot run faster, with more weight, and at a lower heart rate? Where do I stand?

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 02-02-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Ed Haywood

Profile:
Re: Rucksack running? How will it benefit my overall fitness? How fast, heavy, and l

It will give you the knees and back of a 65 year old. When you are 45.

Seriously, as was covered in another recent thread, ruck running is not good for your knees, ankles, and back. Take all the impact injuries from running and multiply it by the extra weight. Those of us who did it for a living in the military feel the negative effects later in life.

If you insist on ruck running, here are some tips:

1. Keep it short, under 1 hour.
2. Keep it light, under 35 pounds max. Military guys go up to 60 pounds, but that's just dumb to do on your own.
3. Don't do it very often, and give yourself plenty of recovery time.
4. Most importantly, stay off paved surfaces. Go cross country, the hillier the better.
5. Wear decent boots with shock-absorbing insoles.
6. A vest is better than a ruck if you have access to it.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Re: Rucksack running? How will it benefit my overall fitness? How fast, heavy, and l

Are you a military guy? I think Ed is right on with the high impact on your body. I am 27 and have been pair with a ruck now for the better part of 10 years. There are probably better ways to smoke yourself, but then again there is something to be said about blowing by the yupies in the park with a 60lb ruck on. 1-2-3 go
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

If you don’t have to run with a ruck as part of you job don’t. GMO
Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Running is cool. Rucking is cool. Together not so much unless you're training for a specific course.

Edit: I looked at your elevation stats -300 ft? did you dive it?

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 02-01-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Josh Goldbogen

Profile:

No I am not military. Maybe that’s why I’ve found the idea of ruck-running somewhat appealing. I’m sure it would lose its appeal fast if it was work related.

I was just getting board with my current running workouts and felt I needed to “take it to the next level”.

“Edit: I looked at your elevation stats -300 ft? did you dive it? ”

Hmmm…. Mixed Gas, Decompression, Ruck-diving….. Ok maybe not…
Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Instead, do one hour staircase walks with 120lbs on your back, walk up with straight form, minimum bending at waist, take elevator down. Or hike up a big hill with gallons of water in pack, empty water before coming down. Then next day do sprints, hard, until you've almost died a dozen times.
I think you'll gain more by doing the components that make up ruck marching, but doing them more intensly, then ruck marching itself.
If you want to freak people out just walk around with a loaded barbell overhead and do lunges and overhead squats then put it down and do sprints, much better for your overall health and more disturbing to the average Joe.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Bryan Back

Profile:

I love to long distance backpack. I have a gear gadget psychosis so I take it out on backpacking equipment instead of workout or firearms equipment (cheaper). I have my gear/water and food down to 15 pounds and have hiked 15 to 26 miles in one day. It is fantastic way to get out of the city. Walking like this is a blast for your long slow workout. Find some mountains and walk up and down them. You will feel it in the morning and know you still have to hike out. Love it!

Having said all that I think it is nuts to run with the pack on. Even in the military I would think there is a better way to train than running with it? Or at least limit the running with it. Don't do that to your feet and knees. This last part is my humble oppinion only as I was a squid. Only thing that hurt me was jogging on the flight deck...darn those tiedown chains. Don't want to imagine hiking with 100#.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

it will increase the amount of work you do, but it can wreak havoc on your back and knees. So pick your poison.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

I would say it is probably the worst idea in the entire world. I used to have to do ruck runs all the time...and at the ripe old age of 26 I've had surgery on my knee and ankle as a result.

Ever think about using a weight vest? I run with my IBA on a lot and I think that it is useful. It is also fun to do "Fran" with a weight vest on. Try it out.