CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Carrie Russo

Profile:
Herniated Disc and Situps

I have been doing CrossFit for a little over a month and I really want my husband to be able to do some of the stuff I've been doing. We can't afford for both of us to go to classes.

I have found the abmat to be an amazing tool do situps with and I'd like to get one for at home.

My husband is concerned about trying to do situps though. Do you think that doing situps with an abmat would be a bad thing for someone with a herniated disc in their low back?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Will Doggett

Profile:
Re: Herniated Disc and Situps

I would say that the Ab mat sit ups would be much safer than standard sit ups, because of the support to the lower back. Which disc is herniated? The best advice I ever received on the subject was from my surgeon when I started to rehab after my back surgery to repair two ruptured discs. He told me if it hurts don't do it. Plain and simple. Now I know that really doesn't hold true for CrossFit. Let's just say if it aggravates the discs don't do it.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Carrie Russo

Profile:

It's either L6 or L7.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Will Doggett

Profile:

I think there are only 5 in the Lumbar Spine. Could it be in his Sacrum? does he have sciatic nerve pain ( down the side of his leg)?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Mike Mallory

Profile:

yes, situps are terrible if you have herniated disc. That may be the single worst exercise out there for the back pain crew

You should NEVER do flexion exercises with a posterior disc problem, or it will never heal

With those, you have to maintain extension in all activities (EVERYTHING; toilet, desk, crossfit, even sex).....Once the initial acute period is over, light flexion can be done, but he will still need to basically avoid flexion for 300-500 days, which is how long it takes for the annulus to rebuild itself

email me if you need direction; balancefromwithin@gmail.com
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Carrie Russo

Profile:

Yes, he does have the sciatic pain.

An xray awhile back showed it as a herniated disc. It's been several years since he first injured his back but about 6-8 months ago he reinjured himself and literally couldn't walk for a few days.

Maintain extension? Can you expand on that? I can email you later too.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Russo View Post
Yes, he does have the sciatic pain.

An xray awhile back showed it as a herniated disc. It's been several years since he first injured his back but about 6-8 months ago he reinjured himself and literally couldn't walk for a few days.

Maintain extension? Can you expand on that? I can email you later too.
Basically keep the spine in it's natural lordic arch position at all times. DO NOT round the back forward at all. For anything. It's very easy to reaggravate a previously herniated disk.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
Eric Tuley

Profile:

In 2003 I herniated L5 S1 during a motorcycle accident. I went and had an MRI and talked to a neurosurgeon. He said some pretty astounding things. He basically told me that he could do surgery and "fuse" my back together.. OR I could do minor things at home that would create a natural vacuum for the disc to heal itself. I chose the latter. He told me to get an inversion table and spend 5 mins a day on it increasing the angles over a period of 90 days. Since I live in Florida he also said to get in the pool as much as possible. This allows the pressure off the disc. I also had sciatic pain. I finally found an EXCELLENT physical therapist that diagnosed me with a sacral torsion. This basically means that your sacrum is off a couple of degrees. This was kind of an easy fix. Lay on your back, bend your knees with your feet together, put a basketball between your knees. Squeez the ball like hell. You will hear and feel a slight pop. This is your sacrum popping back into place through a technique called "muscle energy". Almost instantly the pain in my SI joint subsided. I did not run for close to a year. I continued my inversion therapy. One year later I did another MRI, the disc did heal itself and fell back into place.

Also, if his injury is sever, google search VAX-D therapy and see if there is a clinic near you. This form of inverted traction has almost a 90% non surgial heal rate for hernitated discs.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, for the basketball/adductors you don't even need an object there (but pretty much any object works). Just squeeze really hard and if something is out of place either in the pubic symphysis or sacral area it will generally pop back where it's supposed to go if there's something out of alignment.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Chris Terry

Profile:

I would also look for someone (PT, MD, DO, DC) who is certified MDT (Mackenzie protocols). This is an awesome technique for dealing with disc derangement/herniation issues. Most of the info on here has been fairly accurate( although there is not a vacuum created by the disc regarding traction, it stimulates circulation, and macrophage activity, which in turn basically cleans up the garbage, thereby cleaning up the disc). It is crucial to focus more on hip flexion and stay away from trunk flexion.