CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Scott Brodersen

Profile:
tire flipping - how heavy?

I'm thinking of getting a tractor tire, but I'm not sure what size I should get. I can dead lift 250 and squat 220. Would a 400# tire be about right? I want one that I'll grow into a bit...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Erik Traeger

Profile:
Re: tire flipping - how heavy?

400 lbs might be a little light for you. 600 lbs probably would be more your size. My Squat and DL are probably in the mid 300's ~100 lb more than you and I can flip a 900 lb tire, but when I first tried to flip it, I hardly budged it! There is definite technique to flipping a heavy tire. Now I can flip it about 3 times in a row and I'm not any stronger now than I was then. I had a 400 lb tire in the beginning which was way too easy. A 400 lb tire could be good for flipping it for a distance or for higher reps for condtioning.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Traeger View Post
400 lbs might be a little light for you. 600 lbs probably would be more your size. My Squat and DL are probably in the mid 300's ~100 lb more than you and I can flip a 900 lb tire, but when I first tried to flip it, I hardly budged it! There is definite technique to flipping a heavy tire. Now I can flip it about 3 times in a row and I'm not any stronger now than I was then. I had a 400 lb tire in the beginning which was way too easy. A 400 lb tire could be good for flipping it for a distance or for higher reps for condtioning.
If you can flip a 900 pound tire 3 times, you can either deadlift more than 350, or your tire doesn't weigh 900!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Steve Miranda

Profile:

You should try and get a 20.5 x 25(about 500if not too worn) or 23.5 x 25.(about 700if not too worn) These should be heavy enough for most people. 28.5 x 25(about 900if not too worn) for the exceptionally strong. If its too light flip it further. As a former strongman contestant, I had the first two, but could flip the last one too. Get good technique on a lighter one before working up.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Scott Brodersen

Profile:

thanks for the responses guys. Steve, thanks for the dimensions and advice - now I know what to look for.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Steve Miranda

Profile:

No Problem. Unless you are going into Strongman contests, you really don't need the super heavy tires. I just use the 20.5 x 25 now.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Erik Traeger

Profile:

Steve,

You're right on two counts. I probably can DL more than 350, but I haven't maxed in a while. Second, the weight of the tire is a best guess from the tire shop guys who gave me the tire. Brand new it weighed 1200 lbs, but it had lost most of the tread. Someday I would like to take it to a scale and get the actual weight.

Scott,

Just be careful when flipping big tires. I lost my footing once and if I hadn't regained it in time, I would have been pinned underneath my tire. I was dumb because I was by myself. Best case scenario I would have been uninjured but pinned until someone finally came around to help me. But it could have been much worse than that! It's always a good idea to have a spotter or two.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Jason M Struck

Profile:

Tires vary a great deal in dimensions and density, and hence while absolute weight is a general indicator of difficulty, it is by no means fully descriptive or predictive of your ability to lift/not lift it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcsnm...e=channel_page

WFS tire flip video. This tire, which here weighs about 650lbs, and has been 'equipped' to weigh as much as 750lbs, has always been quite flippable to me (DL PR = 379lbs). I have encountered 400lbs tires that were immovable to me. It had almost everything to do with their density and narrow width. This makes the start height low and the leverage poor.

I am confident that some people could probably flip 2-3 times their DL if the tire looked right, and due to possible greater ROM and almost assured poor leverage, you could probably make a tire that weighs less than a PR DL impossible to lift.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Scott Brodersen

Profile:

I've read that the tire should be so wide that it reaches your knees when it's on the ground....your opinion?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Steve Crosen

Profile:

I got a skid loader tire 28L-26 (for a 25 in rim)
new its 449 pounds my guess its is around 400
and there is a definite technique that I learned the hardway after trying to deadlift it,BUT I will say after
a tire work out your whole body feels it.
flippin sweet