CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
What part of my shoulder is hurt?

Hello.

I am trying to identify what exactly is wrong with my left shoulder. About 6 weeks ago I hurt it doing weighted pull-ups. When I do pull-ups, in the bottom possition, I always let my shoulders get up to my ears, and then I'd pull from there.

It seems right now I can do pull-ups if I keep my shoulders "retracted" (is this right?), or in other words, not letting them fully extend at the bottom, or not letting them go up to my ears. But pain is still here after 6 weeks so it's starting to worry me. I haven't fully rested it, but have laid back a lot.

It hurts if I try to touch my upper back with that hand, with the elbow down by my torso. I can touch my lowerback this way just fine, but if I try to reach high, it hurts a bit.

It hurts also when I try to subluxate the shoulder (I can do this at will). I've always been able to do this and it never hurt before, now it does.

Is there any band exercise or whatever that could help? The worst part of it all, is that before this happened I was seeing small strength gains in my strict shoulder press (a pathetic 105x5 reps), and I have not pressed a weight since then At lease I seem to be improving in the deadlift!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Re: What part of my shoulder is hurt?

My guess is the infraspinatus or teres minor. I also suggest this to just about everyone; check out this thread:
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...trigger+points

You can check your entire rotator cuff using the instructions below.

1. Reach your opposite hand over your shoulder and locating the scapula. Locate the spine of the scapula. Search the small area above the spine of the scapula with your fingers. If you have pain in this area it is the Supraspinatis.

2. Take a tennis ball or some other hard rounded object and place it below the spine of the scapula. Roll it over the entire surface of the scapula below the spine of the scapula. If you have pain in this area it is the infraspinatis.

3. In the same positioning as 2 roll to the outer edge/off of the scapula. If you have pain here it is either the Teres minor/major or perhaps the long head of the tricep.

4. Bring your arm with the hurt shoulder across the front of your body such that the scapula shifts to the outside of your body and the underside can be accessed with your fingers/knuckles. Probe the area under the scapula for tender spots. If you have pain here it is the subscapularis.

Another way to check for infraspinatus issues it to bring your arm up so that your elbow is straight out in front of you and your forearm is across your body with your arm bent at 90 degrees. Grab your fist with your other hand and rotate your shoulder such that your forearm would become vertical without moving the elbow, while resisting with you other hand. If you have pain from this movement it is most likely an infraspinatus issue.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Dude, didn't you have surgery fairly recently?

Whys it coming back? Did you hook up with a PT or do a rehab program?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Steven: I had AC joint surgery in my RIGHT shoulder, in late May '08. That shoulder is fine. I went to PT for 10 days straight, then kept doing band stuff at home (I have therabands). I quickly started lifting again and even set PR's in Db press and push-press (still pathetic numbers though), so I guess that shoulder is doing fine.

This is the left shoulder that is giving me problems. This shoulder has always felt more unstable. I can subluxate it easier than the right. And it has much less stability than the right, I always noticed when doing Turkish Get-ups, it was much harder. Also as the weight gets heavy on dumbells, I see a big difference. Not a big difference in my DB press, for example, when doing single arm. But when doing single arm PUSH-press, I seem to be able to handle at least 10 more pounds with my right (recently operated!) shoulder.

It feels as the ligaments that hold my left shoulder "in place" are loose, maybe. Maybe I ought to start doing TGU's again and progress beyond the 40-ish pounds I was doing for 5 reps, lol. Or maybe some more band work, using heavier bands for rotations and the like?

I went and had accupuncture today, and started ibuprofen last night. I will rest an entire week and see if it heals.

At least it's not the same problem that the right one had that led to surgery.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

If they're loose that's probably not good. You SHOULD be doing some rotator cuff exercises to keep it healthy along with the rehab for the other one... large scale exercises probably aren't going to cut it solely.

But seriously if it's looser than the other one and the other one had surgery you should probably get it looked at.

The fact that your shoulder hurts fully extended up high and also on internal rotation leads me to believe it's unstable which is what's causing the pain. Maybe external rotator weakless or overall anterior/posterior imbalance perhaps. How's your posture anyway? Hopefully no slouching ever... But seriously.. see someone for that...

Last edited by Steven Low : 01-16-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I *try* to keep a good posture but still have some kyphosis. Not too exaggerated I think. But my if I grab a pencil with my fists and relax my arms, yeah, they don't point forward....

This question might be off topic but do you think "pillow-top" matresses are bad for posture? I feel they are so soft, that my shoulders come forward a bit, lol, since I almost always sleep facing the ceiling (never been able to sleep on my side, as it makes shoulders hurt a bit).

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an anterior/posterior imbalance in my shoulders. Maybe working my rear delts a bit can help. And I will do the external/internal rotations once pain goes away.

Doctors who have seen my subluxation ability say nothing about it, unless it hurts. It had never hurt before until recently on that weighted pull-up in which I seem to have let it get "too" loose in the deadhang possition and when I tried to pull up from there... *pop*! heh.

I must confess I stopped rehab for the right one long ago! should I still be doing? Surgery was in late may. It feels fine and much more stable than the now-hurt left one.

BTW it appears to be two different problems. The right one gave me AC joint pain (arthrosis). This one I believe has to do with it's unstability, being loose and the ease with I can subluxate it which. I'll search for rear delt exercises and rotations like I said.

"No slouching ever" - your sense of humor was missed on these boards
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Nah dude I still do rehab work for both my shoulders anyway. It's better to be careful then have something develop again and again because you get lazy... as you know. I've had stuff reoccur because I got lazy, so you have to get on top of that.

I mean, if you have loose ligaments that could be just the way you're born. The way to make sure you're at least keeping your shoulder in there and keep it stable is to strengthen the RC. So.. I dunno what to tell you if your docs aren't keeping up with you on that.. -_-
Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Doctors in here suck. A few said "it's nothing", when I showed them I can voluntarily subluxate them. One, though, did mention "Rockwood exercises". He gave me about 2 sheets with funny looking exercises. I searched the net and found some more on the subject of subluxation. Most were internal/external rotation, shrugs, and something similar to a lateral raise, but with bent elbow. Oh, and a row-type of motion and a press type of motion, with bands too. Maybe I should've been doing them ever since.

I have been able to control myself and I've been resting. Well I did a few hill sprints yesterday, but I reckon it couldn't have hurt the shoulder too bad.