CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-27-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
In two ways. First, I was doing Josh today and had some guys come up to the squat rack (which I cleverly hung on to by leaving my stuff there :-) ). They waited for the person who left their stuff there to come back, and I told them I only had one more set. Being a small guy w/65 pounds on the bar I got some funny looks at first. Then I put the bar in the air and started squatting. The conversation was muffled, but I did hear "Hmm, I've never seen that before..." It made me smile as I finished the last of the set.

Second, because it's really hard! I have to concentrate so much on my form and balance and I really feel my whole core keeping the bar from falling on my head. It's kind of intense. I kind of like it :-)

Plus, I'm also getting better at it! Last time I did Josh, it was in 19 minutes with only the bar. This time I did it in 16 minutes with 10 lbs on either side! It's nice to be surprised by improvements, even if it is moving up from *really* light weights to *only* light weights :-) Thanks Crossfit for how great I feel about working out now!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
One of the hardest exercises I know...really requires flexibility, form and strength. But key to snatching...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
OHS's rock... I made my own custom workout for the upcoming speedskating season, and for a period of maybe a month there, I forgot about OHS, silly me. I quickly added them in, and just did a set of 10-10-10 reps at 75 lbs. I tried doing 95 lbs, but it just wasn't there yet. Of course, the last time I did OHS with weight was a long long time ago, and I was struggling with a 40 lb barbell (that was when I was first starting).

So basically I'm saying, you'll surprise yourself in your ability to quickly raise your weight up for OHS.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Milton Grasle

Profile:
I am absolutely intrigued with OHS. I had never heard of them before X/F and never saw anyone doing them at any of the gyms I used to frequent. I was reading a book on exercise and it began talking about OHS. The author instructed "At first don't try this with a barbell--even an empty one. Use a broomstick first." I thought...give me a break, I can squat a good 300lbs. Holding the weight up over your head might be harder, but not that much harder. As most of you reading this probably know what happened when I threw a paltry 150 lbs up then slowly began my decent. I didn't have bumper plates and now have a big chunk of concrete gouged out of my floor. I sat down for a few seconds just staring at the barbell in amazement. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice so I removed all the weight from the barbell and stood staring at a meager 45 lbs. I heisted it up and once again began my descent. My midsetion still quivered and quickly turned to rubber. With my tail between my legs I humbly went for the broomstick. What a great exercise.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Milton, that's a great story, and it's so true. My first time was with the barbell (actually no, I did do broomstick OHS's for a few warmups before I did OHS with the barbell). Either way, my first time with the barbell was rough, but now there's no problem with doing a 75lb OHS, and I hadn't done them in about two months (and two months ago I was still on the barbell only)
Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Seth Hollen

Profile:
I did 80lbs for my OHS today, 2 months ago I was at 40lbs. A big part of it was learning where my feet should be, I have them facing more outward than a normal squat. Also my "core" has gotten stronger.
Hopefully I can do 95lbs soon!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Steve Atkinson

Profile:
I did my first OHS with a standard bar on Sunday, It took 2 long weeks working with a broom handle to get here. Today I am going for a o-bar. Such small improvments can put a big smile on ones face.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
It's such a humbling exercise; I absolutely love OHS, even when doing them with lighter weights. But OHS are a whole 'nother animal with heavy weights and it is such an awesome feeling to hold a heavy weight above you and squat. Bodyweight for reps just makes you feel like "king of the castle" when you actually do it.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Milton, I love your description! :biglaugh:
Old 08-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
ive been spending an extra 15-20 mins in the gym on days one and two working on my ohs, LOVE EM!!! never was into em, did all the o-lifts, and always wondered why my snatch blew.. oh how unexperienced lol.