CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
Cal Jones

Profile:
Chiro - worth it or not?

Me: Female, 5'7, 153lbs, 41 years old.

Been a long time since I posted here (had a lot of injuries last year, then lost motivation, slacked off, ate bread and am now back at the gym trying to lose the 15lbs I put on...but that's a whole other story. Anyway...)
Basically I have a problem that stems mostly from the fact I've been hunched over computers for 20-odd years. My thorassic spine has become a bit rounded whilst my hip flexors have tightened up. Add to that a legacy rotator cuff injury in my right shoulder (from when I was 24...I'm 41 now), knee problems (female, ran a lot, you get the picture), sprained ankle and now, recently, pain in the AC joint on what was my good shoulder, and I'm a big mess.

A chiro started up just down the road from where I live so I thought I'd give him a try. I've had one assessment and two manipulations so far. I was in a lot of pain just before Christmas but after investing in a foam roller and cutting out wheat and other grains entirely, there's a lot less pain there now. At least, I'm thinking it's more likely that than the session I had with my chiro, where he treated me like a human Rubik cube. He says my spine is out of alignment - one shoulder is higher than the other and one hip is also, which it probably is, to be honest. But after 17 years with a bad right shoulder I've got some considerable muscle imbalances in my upper back (not to mention hunching over a computer all day every day).

What's ticking me off is that they never have appointments at times that are convenient for me, and the last two times I've had to wait a considerable amount of time past the time of my scheduled appoint (today, half an hour, and that's on a Saturday morning, not an evening when you might expect people to get held up coming back from work). I'm getting frustrated and wonder if it's worth seeing it through, or if I'm not better of just doing corrective exercise, using the foam roller and perhaps seeing a sports masseur of some sort. Incidentally, I'm also taking a bucket load of supplements aimed at joint health and bringing down inflammation.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Josh Elmore

Profile:
Re: Chiro - worth it or not?

I think a good chiropractor is worth their weight in gold. November of 07 I suffered a break in my neck (broke my c-7) and herniated two disks. My range of motion was minimal and the pain was extreme. I decided to let my chiropractor give it a shot at helping me for 8 weeks. Surgery is always an option but you can't revert back after you've done it.

Within 3 weeks I had almost full range of motion and the pain was minimal. 10 weeks later I was back in the gym hitting it hard!

I still have a chiro and will continue to see one for a long time. IMO they are worth every penny.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Jake Thompson

Profile:

Get yourself 2 tennis balls, tape em together, place so the spinous process of T-spine is in between them, keep hips on ground and extend over top.

I believe Mike Boyle (I know, I know) has some video of it. Google it i Guess?

You can also accomplish this with a foam roller, don't be suprised if you hear a few pops/cracks just like at the chiro.

A good chiro, stress good, is very helpful in getting rid of those lingering issues, a good manual physical therapist can be just as good. Again I stress good, just like mechanics and plumbers, those who know their trade are generally to busy to get to you this week .
Old 01-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Chris Terry

Profile:

I would have to agree with the previous posts. Seeing as how I am a chiropractor, I can speak from my training and tell you there are plenty of nuts out there. Look for someone who is involved in sports chiropractic, Graston Soft Tissue Mobilization technique, Mackenzie Traing and they will take care of you. Hope it works out. Obviously I am a little biased, but chiropractic is grrrreat!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
Cal Jones

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. I have my foam roller and have been using that.
I've decided to stop with the chiro. It's not that he's bad, but that I resent sitting in a waiting room for half an hour after my appointment is due, and the fact he says I need two sessions a week yet I cannot get one appointment at a convenient time. I'm going to see a sports physio on Wednesday for advice on my AC joint and butt/hamstring issues. There are some good masseurs at his practise as well.
In the meantime I'm working my posterior chain and doing scap stability work.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Graston Works!

Active Release Techniques (ART) work!

Google them. The ART was better for me than Graston - but Graston got rid of a Morton's neuroma in my foot.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Thompson View Post
A good chiro, stress good, is very helpful in getting rid of those lingering issues, a good manual physical therapist can be just as good. Again I stress good, just like mechanics and plumbers, those who know their trade are generally to busy to get to you this week .
Couldn't agree more. The scope of what a chiropractor can do is quite broad. As a result, going to 10 chiropractors might reveal 10 different methods and outcomes. In my opinion, because it is what I do, is that a chiropractor who uses their hands, addresses both joints and muscles, and works towards your goals without trying to "sell" you on coming back forever is a good bet. Manual PT's are out there who do similar things as well. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Andrew Christopher Woloszyn

Profile:

What's the harm?

http://whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html
WFS
Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Where's the site listing all people harmed/killed by MDs? Include those addicted to pain meds over-prescribed by dentists.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Andrew Christopher Woloszyn

Profile:

Here's one

http://www.medical-malpractice-attor...tatistics.html WFS