CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

View Poll Results: How many rest days do you take per week?
1 16 22.22%
2 34 47.22%
3 or more 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Tim Luby

Profile:
How many rest days do you take per week?

Please indicate whether your program is strength-biased or standard crossfit/GPP-biased and the pattern of your rest/work days

I'm trying to determine my schedule since now I'm doing a strength-biased program.

Thinking of doing something like this:

ME (light metcon afterwards if feeling good)
Rest
ME
Rest
ME
Metcon
Metcon

I have the 2 metcons back to back because on the weekends I like to run or bike, so they won't necessarily be grueling WODS (though 1 of them probably will be).
Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Stuart Brauer

Profile:
Re: How many rest days do you take per week?

My workout schedule does not conform to the man's 7 day calendar. I view it as an 8 day week.

3 on/1 off

Strength training in the a.m. and WOD in late afternoon/early evening
Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Ive stuck to 3 on 1 off for a while here, and lately ive been trying to work consistent strength work back in. Currently sticking closely to;

CF WOD
CF WOD
Press/Squat/Power cleans
Rest
CF WOD
CF WOD
Bench/Squat/Deadlift
Rest

I'm making gains in strength, which hasn't happened much from metcons, and im still making metcon gains. There are times when i do a wod + strength work, and times when i replace a strength workout with a wod or vice versa.

As for the question you posed, i believe most people here stick pretty closely to a 3 on 1 off schedule. Which is 1-2 rest days a week, depending on how the schedule fits into a standard 7 day week
Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

(Mostly Gymnastics + some lower body barbell movements + OL)

M Full Body
T Full Body
W Rest
Th Full Body
F Full Body
Sa Rest
Su Rest

I'll be adding a short metcon on Tuesday, and adding HIIT on Wed and Sa, so I'll probably have to lower my leg training to ensure that they stay fresh.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:

Monday-Lift
Tues-Skills work + Metcon
Wednesday-Rest
Thur-Lift
Fri-Skills work + Metcon
Sat-Lift
Sun-Rest

Tuesday is a weighted metcon and Fri is more sprints w/body weight stuff.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Just for curiosity's sake, with 790+ posts I assume you are familiar with what CF, starting strength, and gant grimes prescribe for rest. That being said, how is other individual's rest going to help you determine your rest needs?

I think you need to experiment and see what rest works for you and the aforementioned programs should be a great starting point. IMO.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Pat McElhone

Profile:

I followed the mainsite WOD 3 on, 1 off for about 9months. I definitely got in the best shape of my life, but I also had 3 episodes of sickness. One chest cold lasted 3 weeks. I still trained through these. I have learned that the CF.com WOD and schedule may be too much for me right now (factor in work, communte, family, etc). Now my schedule is:

Tu- ME day. 1 lift, max effort
Th- METCON: off the main site, other affiliates, or one I made up.
Sat- ME day again
Sun- METCON.

I am still making gains on this and tying or setting PRs in the named WODs. This works for me for now. I still love the mainsite WODs and think following the mainsite is the best way to achieve elite fitness for those that are able.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Just for curiosity's sake, with 790+ posts I assume you are familiar with what CF, starting strength, and gant grimes prescribe for rest. That being said, how is other individual's rest going to help you determine your rest needs?

I think you need to experiment and see what rest works for you and the aforementioned programs should be a great starting point. IMO.
Just some conflicting feelings, that's all. Plus, I find it interesting to see what everyone else is doing.

But you're right, in the end, it comes down to the individual, listening to your body, and learning from experience.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I follow the main page 3 on 1 off..
Old 01-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Jim Brikman

Profile:

To fit CF into my schedule, I do a 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off schedule - that is, 5 days of CF a week, with Monday and Friday as rest days. I mostly follow the mainpage WoD, but I modify at least one workout a week to include more heavy lifting (ie, strength bias). For example, a workout like "deadlift 3-3-3-3-3", "squat 5-5-5-5-5", "Weighted pull-up 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1" or "Crossfit Total" comes up just about every week and I usually it to be more of a Starting Strength style workout. For example, I'd change the "deadlift 3-3-3-3-3" workout to back squat 3x5, bench press 3x5, and deadlift 5x3. The "squat 5-5-5-5-5" workout might become squat 5x5, OH press 3x5, power clean 5x3. In other words, I'm basically just doing extra exercises any time a purely strength based workout comes up.

I also lag behind the mainsite schedule some ~2 months behind. This is primarily because I distribute the workouts between a gym at my workplace (which has a nice barbell + bumper plates), a gym near my house (which has pull-up bars, dip bars, treadmills and a back extension machine) and a track near my house. Lagging so far behind lets me arrange these workouts in a way that works with my schedule. For example, I always put workouts with olympic style lifts on a weekday as that's the only time I have access to bumper plates. On the other hand, any type of running typically goes on a weekend so I can use the track near my house.