CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Joseph Jackson

Profile:
steroids use

I have been looking at the Crossfit videos to learn the various exercises. The guys and girls in them are very strong and some have good looking bodies too. What is the Crossfit philosophy on the use of steroids? It is obvious that the girl in this work and family save link is on some kind of steroid because of her voice:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...PostVBCert.wmv

What are your thoughts on crossfiters taking steroids and do you take them?
Remember, this girl in the video was competing in the crossfit games. Is crossfit supporting the use of steroids or is it cheating?

Last edited by Joseph Jackson : 01-07-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: missing word to complete sentence

Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Patrick Janes

Profile:
Re: steroids use

wow... if you can recognise steroid (ab)use from a single video interview, based purely on (presumably the timbre of) a person's voice, I guess the the world's sporting bodies can do away with random drug testing, now?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

dude....
Well done!!!
You just proved to the world that your intelligence and decorum is beneath that of ....pond scum.

Ever stop to think that a mixed martial artist may have been popped in the nose and broken it? That break could lead to nasal resonance changes? Just a thought to consider... then again.... your a diagnostic marvel to the medical world

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 01-08-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

currently, I don't think there is any philosophy or dialogue on it.

those are pretty harsh words.

btw, low body fat levels, lots of working out ( intense exercise ) could also lead to increased T levels and lower than normal E levels. Just saying.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Wow...is this a trolling post?
I would imagine that CF'ers using are out there, but generally speaking, we're a pretty clean eating bunch and realize that there are no short-cuts. Most of us are here because we're looking for life-long (elite) fitness/health and not something that is may provide some temporary gains along with life-long health problems.
Also, you can't tell if someone is using something or other based on their voice...for all you know she's had a low voice all her life. Did you know her as a child? Ignorant assumption.
CF'ers look the way they do because they are adapting to the beating that we call the WOD. Combine that with good recovery (clean food, sleep), and in time you will be a monster.
In fact, I would say that CF is anti-drug in that it's not nessasary. If you do intend to use, however, depite the fact you lack good judgement, post the results of your progress with the drug.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:

Joseph it still fascinates me that people are under the perception that if you have a good physique you are taking some type of steroid, hell if we are going that way just because you have a lower toned voice you must be shooting ‘the Juice’
If you live a clean life train bloody hard (Crossfit style) & are dedicated to your nutrition you can develop the elite athlete in you. Is it tough; yes if it was easy everyone would be walking around with bodies that look like Greek sculptures. Crossfit is not about aesthetics but about confronting whatever life throws at you.
If you still don’t believe that the vast majority of cross-fitters are natural you are right because what they do every day is unnatural its extraordinary.
Try it for yourself sometime you wont regret it.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Nathan Willet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post

Ever stop to think that a mixed martial artist may have been popped in the nose and broken it? That break could lead to nasal resonance changes?
So true. Broken my nose three times in the ring, I need a nose job now.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Now, maybe it's just because the excellent documentary on steroids "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" made me think everyone is using steroids, but I will jump on the contrary side of this debate. I think the automatic assumptions about NOT using chemical enhancement might be at least as faulty as Joeys assumption about using. Maybe she is using something or has in the passed. Gillian Mounsey DOES have a more jacked upper body than any other crossfit woman I have seen and does have a very low voice, which is a common symptom of anabolic steroid use.

Of course, the difference between MY statement, Joseph, and YOUR statement, is that I'll readily admit that I DON'T KNOW either way. I'm not going to post an insulting, uninformed, conclusion based on nothing more than a few minutes of video clip I downloaded, and try to pass it off as "obvious" fact.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Jackson View Post
It is obvious that the girl in this work and family save link is on some kind of steroid because of her voice:
Actually it is not. There are plenty of women with low voices that have never taken steroids. Perhaps the OP has not spent enough time around people that have gained their physiques through serious hard work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I think the automatic assumptions about NOT using chemical enhancement might be at least as faulty as Joeys assumption about using.
I think the assumption of guilt is is far more damaging than the presumption of innocence.

Personally, I believe the original post is a troll, but I'm open.

Last edited by Clay Jones : 01-08-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

And I thought I was considered a troll....wow. For a second post, with no searching of past posts that was a scud from left field.