CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Ed Haywood

Profile:
I hate Double Unders

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

Been trying to figure them out for 6 months. For the last 2 months I've done 15 minutes of jump roping every day as part of my CFWU. I still cannot chain more than one DU together. I can sometimes do 2, separated by a single. More than that, never. Two in a row, never. In fact, I think I'm getting worse.

I've watched the Buddy Lee videos. I've got a decent rope that I'm pretty sure is the correct length. I have no problem doing 50 or 100 singles at a fast speed.

Someone please give me some tips on how to master this diabolical parlor trick. I'm tired of destroying my Filty Fifty time by taking 8-10 minutes to do 50 DUs.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Re: I hate Double Unders

Do lots of Tuck Jumps. Seriously. Unless you're morbidly obese or one of your arms is missing, you can twirl your wrists fast enough to complete two rotations during your maximum hang time. Doing strings of Tuck Jumps will help you get a feel for how high you should be jumping and how to string together DUs.

After you've gotten the hang of it, you can start working on how to jump less high.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I hear ya brother. Double unders suck, even now that I can do them they are still very frustrating. The fact that when you mess up the rope wipes you doesn't help anything either.

What helped me the most was doing ~100 regular jumps where I would do the first 50 jumping as high as I possibly could each jump, and the second 50 where I would spin the rope as fast as I possibly could and just barely jump off the ground. It is a lot of timing and practice practice practice.

Keep working and you'll get it

-Robert
Old 12-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I've heard doing tuck jumps to train DU but in watching the Buddy Lee videos, it seems more about rhythm and increasing the rotation speed of the rope.

However, I still suck at both of those and have a hard time being patient enough and getting caught by the rope when double spinning it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

Ross Enamait teaches in his conditioning DVD to do sprinting with the jump rope before learning double unders. I have been working on sprinting, and I think it's a lot more helpful for double unders than doing bad double unders. Sprinting can also be scaled to your ability, while double unders cannot.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I've heard doing tuck jumps to train DU but in watching the Buddy Lee videos, it seems more about rhythm and increasing the rotation speed of the rope.
Right. But you need a base to start from. In my experience, the best way is to string together Double-unders anyhow, and then, once you've got the fundamental rhythm down, work on minimizing the jump height / increasing the frequency of rotations.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Damon Stewart

Profile:

What kind of jumprope do you have?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Nothing fancy, got it in Sports Authority. Has a fairly dense cord made of some kind of black rubber or other synthetic material, and hollow grips with swivel bearing inside. Have tried with other ropes too, such as Nike, leather/wood, and the kind with the 1 inch plastic tubes over a nylon cord. Type of rope doesn't appear to be a big factor. I suck with all of them. I've considered ordering a Buddy Lee rope, but I think the limiting factor is me, not the rope.

I can do the singles pretty fast and clean. I think my basic bounce and rope technique is ok. It just all breaks down when I go for 2.

Is it better to try and chain doubles directly together, or to go for a pattern like 2-1-2? I can sometimes make the 2-1-2 pattern work for a few turns, but never 2-2.

I've tried with a knees-high tuck bounce, and with a higher version of the basic bounce. With the tuck bounce, I clear the first double but can't get back in the air in time to get out of the way of the rope on the following single. With the higher basic bounce, I usually clear the first double and the following single, but get it wrapped around my feet on the 2nd attempt at a double. The rope appears to "cavitate" or go out of round from trying to speed it up an slow it down, and frequently lashes my fingertips on the failed second double. Which makes me even happier. It's getting to be a real challenge not to shout expletives in the gym.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Jeremy Lamplough

Profile:

Hi Ed,

I'm the same. I do 5mins as part of my warm up and can only ever get the pattern 2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1 etc for about 10 DUs. But I've done twice the number of SU just to get there...

Haven't tried the tuck jump suggestion.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Melissa Urban

Profile:

The type of rope you have is a HUGE factor. I highly recommend getting a Super Rope (WFS). It's got a steel cable covered with PVC, and ball bearings in the handles. It turns really fast. I've lent it to people who have never been able to hit DUs before... and they come like magic with this rope. If you're deliberating between lengths, get the shorter one. The shorter the rope, the faster it turns.

As for technique, I'm not sure I'd bother messing around with tuck jumps. It's not about jumping a whole lot HIGHER, although you will in the beginning. It's about turning the rope FASTER. (Which is why the Super Rope is so great for DUs - it spins like a mother.) Practice double-single-doubles until you can string them together pretty consistently. Then move on to consecutive DUs. You just have to practice, and it is all about the speed of the turn and catching the rhythm.