CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Alan Thomas Burns

Profile:
Feeling of double heartbeat - possible arrythmia?

Hey all - I have a heart-related question. When I am in the middle of a strenuous workout, especially metcons involving full-body movements like thrusters and burpees that really get my heart rate up, I sometimes feel a sensation of a double heart beat. I notice it most while simply resting half a second between reps and confirm it by feeling my pulse in my neck. My heart beat follows this pattern:

beat... beat... beat... beatbeat... beat... beat... beatbeat...

and so forth, if that makes any sense. It is distracting and worries me a bit. It stops after resting for a few minutes. Is this in any way normal? Is it a symptom of any possible arrythmia or something particularly dangerous?

For background:
24, male
5"11, 205lb, 33" waist
Crossfitting regularly for one year
No chronic conditions or previous heart problems

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Tish Traster

Profile:
Re: Feeling of double heartbeat - possible arrythmia?

I have bouts of tachycardia. I've had them all my life. Recently saw a cardiologist, just to be safe. Working out at 80-95% max, my heart really races. Had a stress test, everything came out normal. My cardiologist explained that everyone's heart beat is unique to that individual and can vary greatly and still be "normal".

I would say go get it checked out just to be safe
Old 12-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:

Yes, definitely get it checked. It may just be a "PVC" due to irritability/stress, but... you want to find out if there is some underlying problem causing these extra beats, just to be safe.
I'd scale it down a bit for awhile until you get the ok.

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Tim Crawford

Profile:

I've got an "irregular" HB according to some of the docs. They have told me it's nothing to be alarmed about; so your's could be something of that nature???
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:

I'm more inclined to say that since it is occurring at high intensity that there is irritability of the heart happening because of the stress placed on it at the time. Now, as to why it's irritable, that's what you would want to find out.

P.s. I'm a medic with quite a bit of cardiac training and live with an RN who does cardiac stress tests.

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 01-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
lisa taylor

Profile:

How serious are you being with your rest / recovery days?

Once upon a time, I was playing fast and loose with my recovery out of sheer boredome. I didn't have anything constructive to do besides work out. Pretty soon, I started noticing some weird things in my sleep patterns and waking up actually feeling a high heart rate that turned out to be in the 80s.

I think many on this board could be diagnosed with 'bradychardia'. (resting heart rate under 60bpm) It's not 'normal', but it ain't going to kill you if the reason it's that low is because your heart defines 'work' as 'Murph'...and all else is 'naptime'.

YMMV There's a thousand things that 'could be' going on....get checked out, just in case.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I've had this during mentally stressful times. I just rest a few moments till my heartrate normalizes again. Keep breathing normally. I got mine checked out. My heart is normal, but, the stress can do strange things. You should have it checked out. If you normally drink caffeine before a workout, you might want to cut back or skip it altogether.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Bob Guere

Profile:

I had the same problem earlier this year, and it eventually became an all-day thing. For me, it was simple.... overtraining.

Take a couple weeks off, come back easy and see how it goes.

Oh, yeah..... and go see a Doctor too! ASAP! Not something you want to mess around with. You'll never get more attention (unless you're in labor) at a Doctor's office than when you walk in and start talking about heart rhythm problems, in my experience anyway.

There is also the possibility of electrolyte imbalance-induced arrhythmia, your levels could be all whack causing the electrical charge to fire when it shouldn't, causing the extra beat.

In reality ,it's not an extra beat.. it's an early beat. At least in my situation.